Switch up oats for quinoa and make these Roasted Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls!
Is it just me or do you wake up Friday mornings and they just seem so much better than Monday through Thursday? I think it’s the relief that the work week will be over in 8 hours and we have a full two days ahead of us to do whatever we want. My husband’s favorite way to celebrate the last morning of the work week is by getting doughnuts every now and then, mine however is with one of these dairy-free Roasted Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls!
I’m sure you’ve been noticing I’ve been on a quinoa kick lately. I’ve been adding it to dinners instead of using rice or pasta, to yogurt parfaits in place of granola, and now in these protein rich and super tasty breakfast bowls!
Instead of using the obvious choice, oats, in this bowl I opted for quinoa because I love the texture and the extra protein. The quinoa isn’t the only protein rich part of this breakfast bowl, I also chose to use vanilla soy milk. This plant based beverage has 8 grams of protein and combined with the quinoa it’s an excellent option for a vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, filling breakfast!
Making the Roasted Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls is slightly more involved than pouring yourself a bowl of dry cereal, but the flavor and the fact that it keeps me from getting “hangry” an hour after I eat is well worth the few extra minutes.
I start by spreading fresh blueberries out onto a baking sheet lined with foil. I coat the berries in a little bit of agave nectar then put them in the oven to roast for about 8-10 minutes. While the berries are roasting I cook the quinoa. Instead of using water to cook the quinoa in the soy milk.
Once the quinoa has absorbed all of the soymilk I removed it from the stove and stirred in vanilla extract and just enough agave nectar to sweeten it up. Now for the best part, the toppings!
I am such a toppings girl, the more the better! Remember those blueberries we just roasted? Well, they are going to be piled high on our breakfast bowl! And since I like a little crunch, what better than adding some toasted coconut and sliced almonds.
This gorgeous bowl is just the way I like to start my Friday morning. Not only does all the protein from the soy milk help my muscles recover after my morning run, but I can be sure that it will keep me full until lunch.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cups vanilla soymilk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 450° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the blueberries out in a single layer. Toss the blueberries in a teaspoon of maple syrup until they are coated. Place the blueberries on the middle rack of the oven and roast them for 8-10 minutes or until they have released some of their juices but are still holding their shape.
- While the blueberries are roasting, bring the quinoa, vanilla soymilk, and pinch of salt to a boil in a small saucepan. When the quinoa comes to a boil, turn the heat down to low, cover the saucepan with a lid, and let the quinoa simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the soymilk is absorbed.
- Remove the cooked quinoa from the heat and stir in 2 teaspoons of maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Pour the quinoa into two bowls and top with the roasted blueberries, coconut, and sliced almonds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 132mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 7gSugar: 19gProtein: 12g