Hatch green chiles add spice and amazing flavor to this moist cheesy cornbread with an extra crispy crust!
Hey friends! I’m finally back from my long weekend in Austin with my sister. I had a great time and I’ll be sure to share more details with you soon about places we went, ate, and of course ran. Until then feast your eyes on this Skillet Cheddar and Green Chile Cornbread!
In case you aren’t aware it’s Hatch green chile season! Have you had Hatch chiles before? do you even know what they are? In case you aren’t in the know, they are some of the most amazing green chiles you will find in the country and they are grown in Hatch, New Mexico. If you live back east you probably won’t be finding them anywhere, so go ahead and substitute with canned green chiles. However, if you are one of the fortunate ones who is able to buy these magnificent chiles, do it!
One of my favorite parts about Hatch chile season is the smokey, spicy, smell they omit when they are roasted. I like to buy a bag of them at our local farmers market or Whole Foods and freeze them so I can eat them all year long. The chiles vary in heat, anywhere from mild to blazing hot. Beware of those blazing hot ones, you’re sure to lose a few taste buds with those!
Some of my favorite ways to use the chiles are in salsas, taco meat, macaroni and cheese, and this incredible skillet cornbread. If you haven’t tried making your cornbread in a cast iron skillet, it’s a must! When you heat up the skillet then pour in the batter, it immediately sizzles up and creates an amazingly crispy crust on the bread. After cooking the cornbread for a minute on the stove you finish it in the oven. This cheddar green chile version is perfect served with a bowl of chili or any kind of barbecued meat. Be sure to get your hands on some Hatch green chiles while you still can!
- 1 cup cornmeal, finely ground is best
- 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat pastry flour if possible
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (not melted)
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup roasted Hatch green chiles or canned green chiles
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cayenne pepper.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together the buttermilk, Greek yogurt, egg, and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and fold together just until combined with a rubber spatula.
- Fold in the cheese, green chiles, and corn.
- Heat a 10 inch cast iron skillet over high heat until the skillet is good and hot.
- Add in the remaining tablespoon of butter and swirl it around the pan until melted.
- Immediately pour in the cornbread batter and smooth it out into an even layer.
- Cook the cornbread on the stove for 1 minute then immediately transfer it into the oven.
- Bake the cornbread for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cornbread is best eaten the day it is made.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 495mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 5g Protein: 11g