The Super Bowl is just a week away! To be honest I’m not that excited this year since the Broncos aren’t in it, although last year’s disaster was painful to watch too. Even though I’m less than excited about the teams playing, I am excited for the food. Along with some of my delicious dip recipes, I’m planning to make these Baked Green Chile Chicken Taquitos!
I didn’t really plan on making these taquitos, it’s not something I usually make, but I had a massive amount of corn tortillas left after making these Chipotle Black Bean Tostadas with Peppers and Onions. Can we talk a minute about the ridiculous number of tortillas they put in one package! Every once in a while I can find a package with only 12, but usually it’s at least 30. Seriously…by the time I use all 30 there will either be mold all over them or they’ll be so dry I’ll have corn crumbles.
I started thinking about what I could make with the tortillas before they turned into dry crumbles and that’s when the idea for the Baked Green Chile Chicken Taquitos came to mind. The last time I ate taquitos was a few months ago when I got together with my friend Justine over at Cooking and Beer. I’m not gonna lie those taquitos were super delish, but they were a little on the not so healthy side. I wanted to make a taquito that I could eat 3 or 4 of and not have any regrets.
To keep these green chile and chicken filled taquitos on the lighter side I did a couple thing. I of course wanted the filling to be creamy, because creamy filling are just about the best thing ever. I used low fat cream cheese and non fat plain Greek yogurt to achieve this healthier creaminess. Next it was time to add all those delicious Mexican flavors. I used a combination of salsa verde, diced green chiles, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, and of course some monterey jack cheese! I scooped a small amount of the filling into the warm corn tortillas and rolled them up. Instead of frying the taquitos the way they are traditionally made, I baked them in the oven. I sprayed the tops with a little cooking spray to make them golden then sprinkled them with a little kosher salt.
Assuming you don’t overfill the taquitos and your corn tortillas are fresh, they turn out perfect. Not overfilling them is the hardest part, you’ll be tempted to I guarantee it. I busted several because I was overzealous thinking I could cram just a little more of that creamy chicken filling in. Once your first few fall apart though, you’ll learn! Whether your team is playing in the Super Bowl or not, make these Baked Green Chile and Chicken Taquitos and enjoy all the great game day food!
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa verde or green enchilada sauce
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 15 corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl fold together the cream cheese, yogurt, salsa, green chiles, green onion, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, and salt until totally combined. Fold in the shredded chicken and cheese.
- Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave 2 at a time for about 20 seconds or until they are warm and pliable. Fill each tortilla with about 2 tablespoons of the chicken filling and roll them up.
- Place the taquitos seam side down on the prepared baking sheet and spray the tops with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the tortillas are lightly browned and bubbly inside. Serve immediately with extra salsa for dipping.
Make sure you are using fresh corn tortillas and that you warm them in the microwave first, this will prevent them from breaking and falling apart. Don't overfill the tortillas or they will burst in the oven.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 110Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 141mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g