Hey everyone! I hope you are having a fabulous weekend, I sure am! Our freak snow from last Wednesday is long gone and sunny skies and warm temperatures have replaced it. Hopefully they will last this time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we get one more snow. With Easter only a week away, I want to make sure that I supply you with enough variety of recipes that you can make for either brunch or dinner. Today I’m sharing an easy appetizer that will work for either meal, Smoked Salmon Spread.
Basically if you like smoked salmon you will love this spread, if you don’t, come back tomorrow and I’ll have something sweet that you are sure to love! I love smoked salmon and so does my husband. We usually make a trip to Whole Foods on the weekend to get a few things and if we are lucky the guys at the seafood counter will have a sample of their smoked salmon. It is soooooo good! We are seriously like to vultures when we walk in the store. Our eyes immediately hone in on the seafood counter and we ravenously scan it for the little sample cups. If the cups are there we speed walk to the counter to get a morsel of this delicious smoky fish. It’s really pathetic and embarrassing.
Enough about my love of smoked salmon and my childish behavior when I see a sample of it at Whole Foods. Let’s talk about how easy this smoked salmon spread is to make. The base of the spread is a combination of low fat cream cheese and non fat plain Greek yogurt. Sour cream is often used, but in my eyes, sour cream and plain Greek yogurt are basically the same thing minus the fat. Once those two ingredients are beaten together in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer then it’s time to add all the flavor. This spread is flavored with fresh dill, fresh lemon juice, worchestershire, whole grain mustard, salt and pepper. After all the flavor is beaten in add in the diced smoked salmon and fold it all together with a rubber spatula. All done! Now wasn’t that easy?
The smoked salmon spread is delicious served on sliced cucumbers or slices of toasted baguette. The spread can be made a day ahead of time, in fact I thought it tasted even better the second day after the flavors had a chance to marry. If smoked salmon is your thing be sure to add this spread to your Easter menu!
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon whole grain or dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, diced
- English cucumber and toasted baguette slices for serving
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat together the softened cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
- When it is thoroughly combined add in the lemon juice, dill, worcestershire, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Beat again until everything is combined.
- Add in the diced smoked salmon and fold it into the mixture with a rubber spatula until it is evenly distributed.
- Place the spread in a serving dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve.
- Serve the spread with slices of English cucumber or toasted baguette.