This southwest chicken casserole is an easy to make dinner the whole family will enjoy! Made with chunks of chicken, rice, green chiles, black beans, corn, and a flavorful spice blend. It all bakes together in one pan making clean-up super simple!
If you love southwest and Mexican inspired casseroles then give this ground beef taco casserole a try!
Why you’ll love it
One pot dinner – This chicken casserole bakes together in one dish. No sautéing vegetable, cooking chicken, or making sauces in separate pans is necessary.
Healthy casserole – Casseroles often get the reputation for being heavy, but this one is wholesome and filling without leaving you in a food coma afterwards. It has the perfect balance of carbs, protein, and fat.
Tons of flavor – Flavorful dried spices, salsa verde, and aromatics make the flavors pop in the chicken and rice casserole!
Freezer friendly meal – This is a great meal to stick in the freezer for a day when you don’t have time to cook.
- White rice – Long grain white rice or Jasmine rice can be used.
- Green onions – Milder in flavor and cook faster in casseroles.
- Garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika – Spice blend used to flavor the casserole.
- Green chiles – Mild or hot canned green chiles can be used depending on how spicy you like your food.
- Low sodium chicken broth – I always opt for low sodium so the dish isn’t too salty. You can always add salt, but can’t take it out.
- Chicken – I used boneless skinless chicken breasts, but boneless skinless chicken thighs work great too.
- Black beans – A great way to add fiber to the casserole.
- Corn – Frozen corn or fresh corn can be used. For extra flavor try frozen fire roasted corn.
- Salsa verde – Jarred salsa verde adds tons of flavor. Use whatever your favorite brand it.
- Cheese – Cheddar, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack are all great cheeses to use for this casserole.
How to make southwest chicken casserole
Add the uncooked rice, green onions, garlic powder, green chiles, salt and pepper, and chicken broth to a casserole dish. Stir everything together.
In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add the cubed chicken to the casserole dish and spread it into a single layer. Sprinkle on the spice blend.
Top the chicken with the black beans and corn and then pour the jar of salsa verde evenly over everything. Top the casserole with the cheese and then cover it tightly with a piece of foil.
Bake at 350° F. for 45 minutes and then remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes uncovered or until the rice is tender and the cheese is melted.
Leftovers and storage
The leftovers for this this chicken casserole will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can reheat individual leftovers in the microwave until hot or cover the whole dish with foil and bake it in the oven at 350° F. for about 15-20 minutes or until warmed through.
If you want to freeze the casserole, let it cool completely. Transfer it to a freezer safe container if it isn’t already in one and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat it, defrost it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat using one of the two methods listed above.
Chicken and rice casserole FAQs
No. Brown rice takes much longer to cook. There won’t be enough liquid and the chicken will be extremely overcooked.
Yes. You can simply omit it or add an additional cup of black beans and additional corn to bulk up the casserole.
That depends on the salsa you use and if you’re using mild or hot green chiles. If you’re sensitive to spicy food, stick with a mild salsa and chiles.
Yes. A red tomato based salsa can easily replace salsa verde. You could also swap with enchilada sauce if you prefer.
More casserole recipes
Did you make this southwest chicken casserole? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 16 ounce jar salsa verde
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 2.5 quart casserole dish with cooking oil.
- Add the uncooked rice, garlic powder, green onions, green chiles, chicken broth, salt and pepper to the casserole dish and stir everything together.
- In a small bowl combine the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the casserole dish and spread it into a single layer then sprinkle on the spice blend.
- Top the chicken with the black beans and corn then pour the salsa evenly over everything. Sprinkle on the cheese and then cover the casserole dish tightly with foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes then remove the foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes uncovered or until the rice is tender and the cheese is melted. Garnish with extra green onions, cilantro and avocado slices if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 626mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 5gSugar: 5gProtein: 34g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.