This easy to make Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole is perfect to make on days when you’re craving Southwest comfort food. Loaded with diced green chiles and green enchilada sauce, it’s sure to be a family favorite!
It was definitely a comfort food kind of weekend here in Denver this past Saturday and Sunday. We got our biggest snow of the year and were pretty much confined to the indoors. I know we need all the snow we can get, but man I missed being outside in the sun.
Aside from cleaning, working and doing some organization projects around the house, we did a lot of comfort food eating. Pizza was a priority. Then yesterday, I couldn’t help but make this green chile chicken and rice casserole again.
If you’re a follower of my blog then you are probably aware of my love of anything made with green chiles. This slow cooker creamy green chile chicken enchilada soup really hits the spot on a cold day. And this skinny green chile chicken enchilada dip is a personal favorite of mine along with everyone else I’ve ever made it for.
Today it’s all about this green chile casserole. It’s easy to make, all made in one pan, is delicious for leftovers and it’s made with more wholesome ingredients. There’s no canned soup, unlike many of the casseroles we grew up on and it happens to be gluten free in case you follow a gluten free diet.
Ingredients Needed to Make Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
- green onions
- chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano
- chicken breasts
- brown rice
- diced green chiles
- fire roasted tomatoes
- frozen corn
- green enchilada sauce
- plain Greek yogurt
- Colby Jack cheese
How to Make Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole
This chicken and rice casserole is a one pan recipe and doesn’t take long at all to make. Heat the oil in a large oven safe skillet and add the green onion and spices to it. Sauté the onions for a couple minutes and then add in shredded chicken, rice, green chiles, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, and a 1/4 cup of the cheese.
Stir everything together until the cheese melts and it’s heated through. Remove the skillet from the heat and quickly stir in the Greek yogurt. Removing it from the heat will prevent the yogurt from curdling.
Top the casserole with the rest of the cheese and then put it in the oven to bake. It shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes since everything is already cooked and warm. You basically just want to get the cheese melted. Once it’s out of the oven, top it with sliced green onions and chopped cilantro.
Frequently Asked Questions
What brand of green enchilada sauce should I use?
Can I use a different kind of cheese?
Absolutely. Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack or a combination of any of these would all be delicious.
What can I use instead of brown rice?
Not a fan of brown rice or don’t have any? Try using white rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice. If you use cauliflower rice I recommend using a 1/4 cup less of the green enchilada sauce as it won’t absorb into it as much like it does the rice.
How to keep the Greek yogurt from curdling in the casserole
To keep the Greek yogurt from curdling add it in last. Remove the pan from the heat and stir it in quickly. You don’t want the yogurt to be boiling away on the stove while you’re heating all of the other ingredients. It also helps if you use a plain Greek yogurt with a higher fat content versus non fat. Low fat or whole milk work well.
More Green Chile Recipes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 ounce can diced green chiles
- 14 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 3/4 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large oven safe skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the green onions and spices and sauté for a couple minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken, rice, green chiles, fire roasted tomatoes, corn, and green enchilada sauce and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Stir everything together until it's combined. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Once the cheese is melted and everything is heated through, remove the skillet from the heat and quickly stir in the Greek yogurt. Top with the remaining cheese and then bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is hot.
- Serve the casserole as is or top it with diced tomatoes and chopped cilantro.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 496mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 5gSugar: 7gProtein: 26g