This Southwest Turkey and Egg Breakfast Skillet is a delicious and filling way to start your day! Southwest seasoned ground turkey and scrambled eggs are topped with cheese, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and salsa. It’s perfect for meal prep, a weekend breakfast or even dinner!
I can’t even tell you how nice it’s been this week to have our house back and not under construction. In the past three weeks we’ve had a half wall taken out and all of the flooring in the house torn out and replaced. The finished product looks amazing, but holy cow did it test my patience and leave me in a constant state of stress.
It probably wouldn’t have been half as bad if I had an office to escape too, but my office is the kitchen and loft in our house. My daily work routine was destroyed, not to mention I had to babysit our two cats because they had to be locked in a room or the basement all day. They were not happy about that at all.
Everything is nearly back to normal though. With the exception of ongoing cleaning as the dust from all the work continues to settle and hunting for area rugs and new furniture, my routine is back and I can focus on creating new recipes for you.
The last recipe I made while work was still being done on the house was this Southwest Turkey and Egg Breakfast Skillet. I kept putting it off and now I’m regretting that I did because it’s going to be one of those easy recipes that I make nearly every week. Not only is it great for breakfast, but we ate if for dinner a couple nights as well.
If you meal prep it’s makes the perfect amount to get you through the work week. In case you didn’t know, scrambled eggs reheat beautifully! There’s tons of protein in this one pan meal, so it will keep you full and powering through your morning or evening.
Like so many of my recipes, this is a skillet recipe and you won’t be dirtying a bunch of dishes when you make it. The ground turkey and onion are cooked first and seasoned with all the usual southwest spices. Salsa is added into the mix, for extra flavor, spice and moisture. Essentially your making taco meat. Once the taco meat is cooked, put it onto the plate and add in the whisked eggs.
Scramble the eggs as you normally would, then add the taco meat back in. Everything is topped with cheese and at that point you can either serve it or if you’re like me, add a ALL the toppings. I highly recommend tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and some extra salsa for the full southwest flavor experience. Enjoy!
More Breakfast Ideas with Eggs
Sheet Pan Spinach Tomato Ricotta Frittata
Egg, Green Chile and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Strata
Southwest Turkey and Egg Breakfast Skillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons milk of choice
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese, I used colby jack
- Chopped tomatoes, avocado, red onion, cilantro and extra salsa for toppings (optional)
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add in the onion, ground turkey and spices. Season with salt and pepper. Crumble the turkey and sauté until cooked through. Add in the water and salsa and stir everything together. Remove the mixture from the skillet and onto a plate.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and lower the heat to medium-low. Pour in the eggs and stir them until scrambled. Just before they are finished cooking add the turkey back in and stir everything together.
- Top with shredded cheese and cover the skillet with a lid or top loosely with foil until the cheese melts, about 1 minute. Serve the skillet as is or top with chopped tomatoes, avocado, red onions, cilantro and extra salsa.
- If making this for meal prep, cool completely and divide into meal prep containers. Reheat in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 334mgSodium: 649mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 39g
Incredibly delicious and healthy recipe! I prepared it yesterday and it was awesome. It’s a pity that it’s difficult to do this every day :(