Strawberries and Cream Yogurt Quinoa Parfaits are a delicious and easy to make breakfast, snack or healthy dessert! Layers of maple syrup sweetened quinoa, vanilla Greek yogurt and fresh strawberries.
Well, basketball is over, baseball is starting, warmer weather is here, flowers are blooming, trees are getting their leaves back, I can finally get outside and do some hiking… yep life is pretty good right now! On top of all the loveliness that life is offering up right now, I made the most amazing parfaits over the weekend, Strawberries and Cream Yogurt Quinoa Parfaits!
I’ve been on a bit of a quinoa kick lately as you’ll see in recipes to come. I’ve really been enjoying adding it to all sorts of meals. I love the texture of quinoa with it’s slight crunch and the flavor is really starting to appeal to me. Some people complain that it has a bitter, earthy taste, but I think as long as you rinse it well and season or flavor it properly, the bitterness shouldn’t be an issue.
Quinoa is most often used in savory dishes and served with lunch or dinner, but I’m really loving using it in sweeter breakfast dishes as well. The first time I used it in a breakfast dish was in these Strawberry Quinoa Pancakes. They are probably some of the best pancakes I’ve ever made and currently one of my favorite breakfast treats to make on the weekend.
I like to make a big batch of quinoa and then keep it in the fridge to use for different meals during the week. The quinoa I made for the strawberries and cream parfaits is sweetened slightly with agave nectar and vanilla extract. I found myself eating it with a spoon to calm my sugar cravings which usually hit me in the middle of the afternoon and right before bed.
The great thing about these strawberries and cream quinoa yogurt parfaits is that they are completely healthy and filling, but they taste so good that they could even pass for dessert! The parfaits are simply layers of the agave and vanilla sweetened quinoa, vanilla Greek yogurt, and fresh strawberries.
The ingredients are enough to make two or three parfaits. You could even assemble them all at once and have one for breakfast, snack, and dessert! Or if you are nice (depends on what day it is if you’re me), you can share. The parfaits have the perfect amount of sweetness and are even something I think kids will enjoy too!
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 cup non fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- Add the quinoa, water, and pinch of salt to a small saucepan and bring it to a boil. Once the quinoa starts to boil, lower the heat to low and cover with a lid. Let the quinoa simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the maple syrup and vanilla extract. Refrigerate the quinoa in an airtight container until it is cool and you are ready to use it.
- In a small bowl stir together the diced strawberries and teaspoon of maple syrup. Let the berries sit for a few minutes until they start to macerate.
- In a jar, glass, or bowl layer start with a layer of the cold quinoa, a few spoonfuls of vanilla yogurt, and top it with a few spoonfuls of strawberries. Repeat the process if you want a larger parfait.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 223Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 13g
More Quinoa Breakfast Recipes