Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowls are the coziest way to start your morning this fall and winter. A great alternative to your usual bowl of oatmeal!
The great debate. Apple or pumpkin for fall? I actually like both, but tend to gravitate more towards apple, which is why I’m sharing these Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowls before the first pumpkin recipe of the season. Don’t worry, the pumpkin is coming next week.
So, why quinoa instead of oatmeal for breakfast? There’s a few reasons I decided to try it out. First off, sometimes you just want to change up your routine. Oatmeal is great, but like everything eaten routinely, sometimes you just want something a little different.
Second reason, quinoa is a great source of protein and fiber and edges out oats in both of these categories. As you probably already know, eating protein and fiber are an ideal way to start your morning. They help keep you full, regulate blood sugar levels and get that digestive system working.
The final reason I decided to give the quinoa for breakfast a try is a personal reason, but I’m sure I’m not alone in this category either. I can eat oats in a very small quantity, but I’ve found that a normal sized serving doesn’t sit too well with me.
Quinoa is also a great alternative if you aren’t into the texture of oatmeal. I used to hate it when I was a kid, but soon learned it was the lack of texture I didn’t like, which is why I’m all about topping on both oatmeal and these Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowls.
Making these bowls might seem like a little too much work for a busy morning, but everything can be made in advance so all you have to do is reheat it. You can even double or triple the recipe so you have enough for the entire week.
The flavor is just what you’d expect. Lots of cinnamon with hints of nutmeg and ginger. Sweet apples almost like apple pie filling. A tangy cinnamon Greek yogurt topping to balance out the sweetness and of course toasted pecans and coconut for crunch.
If you’re looking to change up your oatmeal routine, but still want those sweet, warm, carbs for breakfast, then these quinoa breakfast bowls are a great place to start. Enjoy!
More Quinoa and Oatmeal Recipes
Roasted Blueberry Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk (optional)
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil or butter
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Toasted chopped pecans and toasted coconut flakes
- In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa, salt and water to a boil. Once boiling cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed (drain remaining liquid if needed. Add in the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, maple syrup and milk. Stir together then remove from the heat and let it steam, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the quinoa into two bowls then add the coconut oil or butter to the saucepan and heat over medium-high heat. Add in the diced apple, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir together and cook until the apples are tender, about 5 minutes.
- While the apples cook, whisk together the yogurt, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Top the bowls of quinoa with the Greek yogurt mixture, cooked apples, chopped pecans and coconut.
Heidi Gartman says
Love this recipe! I used organic vanilla yogurt and made this into 4 pint size jars for easy grab and go breakfast 😋
Wonderful idea for having it ready to go during the week!
Can I make these up and freeze ahead of time?
Everything except the yogurt topping would be fine to make ahead and freeze.