Golden yellow and loaded with superfoods! This Turmeric, Chicken, Chickpea and Vegetable Soup is perfect to make when you’re feeling under the weather or just craving a flavorful and healthy soup!
I thought I’d hop on the turmeric train and give it a try in this Turmeric, Chicken, Chickpea and Vegetable Soup. I’m so glad I did! This soup is loaded with superfoods and a must make while it’s still soup season.
It is February right? I ask because I wore shorts nearly every day last week and both Thursday and Friday our highs were in the 70’s! It seriously felt like summer and I had to keep reminding myself that there were still at least two more months of cold weather.
Of course the perfect weather all during the week ended just in time for the weekend. Saturday night it decided to rain and it was significantly cooler Sunday morning. Needless to say I was not wearing my shorts and the winter jacket came back out of the closet.
The return of the cold weather did give me a chance to make another pot of this Turmeric, Chicken, Chickpea and Vegetable Soup. There is truly nothing better on a cold day then a hot bowl of soup. This was my first time using a generous quantity of turmeric in a recipe.
If you are unfamiliar with the spice it’s becoming quite popular due to it’s wide range of health benefits. Researchers are learning more and more about it’s anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. They’re finding that it may offer protection against certain cancers, arthritis, alzheimer’s and help to reduce blood sugar. Being a runner I’m all about anti-inflammatory foods.
Turmeric has been used in cooking for thousands of years and is often added to many Asian and Indian recipes. Turmeric is part of the ginger family and it’s a vibrant yellowish-orange colored spice. The flavor is of course gingery and a little peppery as well.
The turmeric lends a wonderful flavor, color and of course health benefits to this hearty, gluten-free soup. Why stop at one superfood in your meal when you can use multiple ones?! Kale, sweet potato, chickpeas and ginger round out the list of superfoods in this soup and they give it plenty of heartiness and texture.
Whether you’re craving a bowl of hot soup, feel a cold coming on, or just want to embrace the benefits of turmeric, I highly suggest making a pot of this Turmeric, Chicken, Chickpea and Vegetable Soup!
More Soup Recipes
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked and shredded boneless skinless chicken breast
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- Juice of a lime
- Cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the carrots, sweet potato and kale and cook for another 3 minutes until the kale starts to wilt.
- Stir in the turmeric and season with salt and pepper. Add in the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Add in the chicken, chickpeas and coconut milk and increase the heat to medium-high, returning the soup to a simmer. Cook until everything is warmed through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and squeeze in the lime juice and season with more salt and pepper as needed. Serve the soup topped with cilantro and lime wedges if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 376mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 39g