Loaded with broccoli, cauliflower and extra sharp cheddar cheese, this healthy Slow Cooker Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup couldn’t be easier to make!
I think I’ve used my slow cooker more this month than I have all year. I go through phases using it and I’m currently on the use phase. Saturday I made my husband chicken enchiladas for his birthday dinner and made the chicken in the slow cooker. I didn’t have time to mess with dinner one day last week so I threw some chicken in it and made shredded buffalo chicken. I’ve also been making soup like crazy, so I figured why not make one that can be easily made in the slow cooker. No fuss, minimal dishes and a big pot of this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup waiting for you to devour!
There’s probably a hundred recipes for broccoli cheese soup out there, but not as many for broccoli cauliflower cheese soup. Since I always have cauliflower in my fridge I figured combining the two was a great way to differentiate my recipe from some of the others.
Creamy, cheesy soups are ones I generally avoid at restaurants because they’re usually a calorie/fat/sodium bomb. They use excessive amounts of cheese and cream and not so much of the good for you stuff, vegetables. Then of course you have to have a sandwich, salad or at least some warm bread with it, because that bowl of soup isn’t going to keep you full.
I’m happy to report that this Slow Cooker Broccoli Cauliflower Cheese Soup is not a calorie/fat bomb, contains plenty of vegetables, is super thick and creamy like you want this soup to be and it keeps you full! Instead of using a ton of cream, cream cheese or canned condensed soups to make this soup creamy, I used my favorite protein packed substitute, Greek yogurt! I honestly don’t know how I got by before this thick yogurt came into existence. While there is definitely a fair amount of cheddar cheese in the soup, it’s probably not as much as you’ll find in many recipes. I used an extra sharp cheddar as a way to get more flavor without having to use as much. This soup is the perfect dinner on a cold night and I’m sure there are plenty of those headed my way. Enjoy!
- 3 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Kosher salt, black pepper and hot sauce to taste
- 1 cup low fat milk, I used 1% milk
- 6 ounces extra sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Place the broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, shallot, garlic, salt, pepper, hot sauce and vegetable or chicken broth in the slow cooker.
- Stir everything together then cover with the lid and set to low.
- Cook for 6-8 hours or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Use an immersion stick blender or regular blender to purée the soup until it's smooth.
- Add in the milk and cheese and blend until the cheese is melted and everything is combined.
- Blend in the Greek yogurt until combined and the soup is smooth.
- Taste for seasoning then serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 52mg Sodium: 867mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 17g Protein: 27g