This Apple Cider Margarita is the perfect cocktail to enjoy this fall! Sweetened with maple syrup and a cinnamon sugar rim. They can be made with tequila or mezcal if you prefer a smoky flavor.
Why you’ll love it
- Quick and Easy – This margarita can be ready to sip in about 5 minutes!
- Delicious cocktail for Thanksgiving and the holidays – If you want to serve something other than wine this Thanksgiving and holiday season, this fall flavored margarita is for you.
- Tequila or mezcal – This margarita can be made with either blanco tequila or if you want to give a smoky flavor, try mezcal. Both pair well with the apple cider.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Tequila or mezcal – If using tequila I like to use silver or blanco, but you can use reposado if you prefer.
- Orange liquor – Cointreau or Grand Marnier are the most common brands.
- Apple cider – Be sure to use regular apple cider and not spiced.
- Lime – A fresh lime is best and has superior flavor compared to the stuff in the bottle.
- Maple syrup – Instead of simple syrup or agave, which is traditionally used to sweeten margaritas, use maple syrup. It has a hint of smoky flavor and pairs perfectly with apple.
- Cinnamon sugar – Simply combine a couple tablespoons of granulated sugar and 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon and stir them together.
- Cinnamon stick, apple slices, and star anise for garnish
How to make an apple cider margarita
Cinnamon sugar rim – Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bowl that wide enough to fit the rim of the glass or on a plate. Take lime wedge and run it along the outside rim of the glass.
Rotate the rim of the glass in the cinnamon sugar until it’s coated evenly. Add ice to the glass just before serving.
Combine the margarita ingredients – Add all of the ingredients for the margarita into a cocktail shaker or mason jar with a lid.
Shake and serve – If using a cocktail shaker add ice to it before pouring in the margarita. Vigorously shake until well combined and then pour into the prepared glass.
Garnish – Garnish the margarita with a couple of thinly cut apple slices, a cinnamon stick, and star anise.
What type of apple cider to buy
You can buy both filtered and unfiltered apple cider. Unfiltered still has the pulp and sediment in it, whereas filtered looks and tastes more like apple juice. I recommend unfiltered for the best color and apple flavor.
Can this cocktail be made ahead of time?
For the best flavor I recommend making the cocktail right before you plan to drink it. If you plan to add cinnamon sugar to the glasses, you can do that ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.
- If you don’t have a cocktail shaker no need to go out and buy one. All you need is a mason jar with a lid. Add all of the ingredients to the jar, screw on the lid and shake until well combined.
- Drink the margarita immediately. As the ice melts it will dilute the drink and it won’t taste as flavorful.
- Make sure the apple cider, tequila, and Cointraeu are chilled ahead of time so that your margarita is icy cold.
More fall cocktails
Did you make this Apple Cider Margarita? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 2 ounces tequila blanco or mezcal
- 1/2 ounce orange liquor
- 3 ounces apple cider
- 1/2 of a lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup, or to taste
- Cinnamon sugar for the rim, cinnamon stick and apple slices for garnish (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake vigorously until combined then strain out into a cinnamon sugar rimmed glass with ice. Top with thin slices of apple, a cinnamon stick and star anise. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 0g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.