Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken is an easy and healthy dinner that’s perfect for those sweet summer tomatoes! Balsamic marinated chicken breasts, thick slices of tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella all drizzled with balsamic glaze. What’s not to love?!
It’s the first full week of school here in Denver and I’m sure many of you could use an easy dinner to make this week. Since the weather is still gorgeous you might as well keep on grilling and make this Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken!
The tomatoes that I’m growing in my garden are finally turning red and are edible. So far I’ve only been able to pick the cherry tomatoes, which are not what I used in this recipe. I’ve only been picking a handful at a time and usually they don’t even make it inside before I’ve eaten them all.
The larger variety of tomatoes that I planted this year are looking good, but they’re still green. Hopefully in a couple more weeks they’ll be ready to pick.
We’ve had two hail storms in the last couple weeks, which took out a some of the branches on my tomato plants, but for the most part they were somehow spared. My basil plant was another story, total goner. Luckily, herbs are easy to replace since I grow mine in pots.
When I decided to create this recipe for Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken I wanted to set mine apart from all the other Caprese Chicken recipes out there. Instead of just seasoning my chicken with salt and pepper before grilling it, I decided to give it a boost of flavor and use this easy balsamic marinade that I used when I made my Tomato Basil Pasta with Balsamic Grilled Chicken.
The chicken will have maximum flavor if you let it work it’s magic overnight, but if you forget, even a few hours in the marinade will do wonders for it.
During the last couple minutes of grilling top the chicken with thick tomato slices, a few basil leaves and slices for fresh mozzarella. I love the way fresh mozzarella melts, it’s so gooey and way more flavor than the block style cheese.
Serve the Caprese Balsamic Grilled Chicken drizzled with balsamic glaze and a side dish of your choice. I served ours with this White Bean, Artichoke and Tomato Salad and it was a delicious combination. Enjoy!
More Caprese Inspired Recipes
Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 large or 2 small tomatoes, cut into 8 slices
- 8 basil leaves
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the balsamic grilled chicken. Put the chicken breasts in a freezer bag and pour the marinade over them. Press the air out of the bag, seal it and massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates. When the grill is hot place the marinated chicken onto it and grill for 4-6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165° F.
- During the last couple minutes of grilling, layer 2 slices of tomatoes, 2 basil leaves and 2 slices of mozzarella on top of each chicken breast. When the cheese is melted remove from the grill. Drizzle with balsamic glaze before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 332Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 286mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 42g