Tart cherries, creamy goat cheese, peppery arugula, and sweet balsamic drizzle are a delicious combination of flavor on top of this grilled cherry, goat cheese and arugula pizza!
In case you are living under a rock and haven’t noticed, it’s cherry season! I actually feel like I’m getting a late start sharing the cherry recipes with you. My excuse is that by the time I get around to actually making something with them they are usually gone. I lack cherry self control and eat them like there is a shortage and the stores won’t carry them anymore. Do you have this problem too? It’s really rather embarrassing when your husband comes in the kitchen and your cheeks are stuffed with cherries and the juice is dribbling down your chin.
Lucky for you I found a little self control and was able to save enough of my cherries to make this delicious Grilled Cherry, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Pizza. This pizza is perfect for summer. Not only are we using delicious seasonal summer cherries, but we are also grilling the pizza dough rather than baking it.
If you’ve never grilled pizza dough it’s actually quite simple. The main things to remember are to oil the grates of your grill well so the dough doesn’t stick and brush the pizza dough with olive oil. Make sure you have your tongs or a spatula near by so you can flip the pizza dough when it’s ready. Once the dough is flipped you need to work quickly to get the toppings on the pizza. Luckily this cherry and goat cheese pizza is very simple so all that’s required is sprinkling on the crumbled goat cheese and scattering on the cherries. The length of time the pizza needs to grill will depend on your grill. Mine took about 2-3 minutes per side.
Once you remove the pizza from the grill top it with arugula, balsamic drizzle, and a sprinkle of kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. The tartness of the cherries, creaminess of the goat cheese, peppery bite of the arugula, and sweetness from the balsamic drizzle were absolutely delicious on top of the grilled crust! Not only is this pizza great for dinner, but could easily be served as an appetizer as well. If you’ve never tried making a grilled pizza this Grilled Cherry, Goat Cheese, and Arugula Pizza is the perfect one to start with!
- 1/2 pound pizza dough
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- While the grill is heating add the balsamic vinegar, honey, and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until it has reduced to about 3 tablespoons and is thick and syrupy.
- In another small saucepan heat the tablespoon of oil then add in the smashed clove of garlic. Remove the oil from the heat and let the garlic infuse the oil for a few minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface then transfer it to a lightly floured pizza peel, stretching and reshaping it if necessary. Brush the top of the dough with half of the garlic infused oil. Place the crumbled goat cheese and halved cherries on a plate and take them out to the grill with you along with the prepared pizza dough.
- Oil the grill grates then place the pizza dough oiled side down onto the grill. Brush the top of the pizza dough with the remaining oil. Grill the pizza dough for 2-3 minutes then flip it over to grill the other side.
- Immediately scatter the goat cheese crumbles and cherries over the top of the pizza. Grill for another 2-3 minutes then remove from the grill. Top with the arugula, balsamic drizzle, and salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 562Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 558mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 4gSugar: 30gProtein: 14g