Turn the flavor of your snickerdoodles up a notch by adding chai spices!
Ugh is it really already Monday again! Why does the weekend have to go by so fast? I think the only thing that is going to make this day a little brighter is having a recipe for Chai Spiced Snickerdoodle Bars. Oh hey! You’re in luck because that’s what I’m sharing today!
I could have just made snickerdoodle bars and that would have been fantastic, but when you have an eleven dollar bottle of cardamom sitting in your spice cabinet you opt to make chai spiced snickerdoodles rather than regular. Cardamom is one of those spices that I don’t use all that often. Besides these bars I think I have about a handful of other recipes that I make using it, one of which is my grandma’s cookie recipe that I’ll be sure to share in the next month. I actually really love cardamom because it has such a unique flavor. To be honest it’s very hard for me to describe. If you’ve had chai tea before and you taste a flavor you just can’t seem to identify, that’s the cardamom. It has both a sweet and savory aspect to it and lends itself well to enhancing baked goods as well as meats.
I love baking with it around the holidays probably because it pairs so well with cinnamon which is something I commonly use this time of year. Since cinnamon is one of the key ingredients in snickerdoodles, I thought why not turn them up a notch and add all the chai spices. The addition of the cloves, cardamom, and black pepper (yes that’s correct) along with the cinnamon really enhances the flavor of the bars and reminds you of that delicious cup of chai tea. You should probably have a cup of chai tea or a chai tea latte while you’re eating a couple of these bars!
The chai spiced snickerdoodle bars are easy to make, plus unlike cookies you don’t have to worry if they are going to spread out all over the pan. Living at high altitude, having my cookies spread out all of the pan is a constant battle. One of my favorite parts about these bars is the cinnamon-cardamom sugar that is sprinkled over the top. Once that spiced sugar is baked onto the bars it creates a sweet crispy, crackly crust on top that I absolutely love! If you’re like me and have that eleven dollar bottle of cardamom sitting in your spice cabinet and you’re not sure what to do with it, start by making these chai spiced snickerdoodle bars!
Chai Spiced Snickerdoodle Bars
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of black pepper
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon-Cardamom Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray it with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, salt and spices in a bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or with a handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the Greek yogurt and continue beating until smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl once.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat together on low speed just until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared 8x8 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon-cardamom sugar evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake the bars on the middle rack of the oven for 18-20 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, don't overbake or they will be dry.
The batter will be very sticky. Spraying the back of a rubber spatula with cooking spray and using it to spread out the batter will make it easier.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g