I know I know, not another banana recipe! Enough with the bananas! I promise my next recipe will not include a banana in any way shape or form. I’m starting to think I should have called this blog The Banana Runner. Anyways, on to this beautiful Chai Banana Bread!
Quick breads are probably one of my favorite things to bake. They are so simple and there are limitless options as far as what you can put in them. Around Christmas time I made a bunch of different mini quick breads for my coworkers. I had a lot of fun trying new recipes and flavors. I made eggnog chocolate chip, cranberry orange, and peanut butter banana butterscotch chip.
I came up with the idea to put chai spice mix in banana bread after making my chai spiced granola. The result was deliciousness! I gave this particular loaf to my aunt and uncle who were in town over Christmas from Canada. My aunt said she served it Christmas morning at their family get together and everyone loved it. I love getting feedback on recipes especially when it’s good! I adapted this banana bread recipe from Cooking Light’s Classic Banana Bread. I saw how many wonderful reviews it had and figured it would be a good base recipe to work off of.
Some of the changes I made to the recipe were using white whole wheat flour, nonfat Greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt, using part brown sugar as well as cutting back the amount, and adding the chai spice mix. The chai spice gives the bread a warm spiced flavor that balances with the sweetness of the banana. The added bonus is that it makes your house smell amazing!
The best part about making quick bread is how quickly it comes together. No waiting for the dough to rise or worrying that it won’t. The only thing to remember when making this type of bread is that you don’t over mix it, only mix until it’s combined. The next time you are in the mood to make banana bread give this one a shot, it adds a great twist to the classic flavor.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. ground cardamom
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground ginger
- 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t. ground cloves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1/3 cup fat free greek yogurt
- 1 t. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a stand mixer beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg white, bananas, yogurt, and vanilla to the butter and sugar mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and beat on low speed just until it comes together.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before trying to remove it. Cool completely on a wire rack.