Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew is a cozy dinner to cozy up with after a long day. Simple, wholesome ingredients create a delicious stew that will make you forget all about those flavorless versions you’ve had in the past!
Let’s be honest, stew isn’t a word that makes you go, “yum, I have to have it!”. Tacos yes, pizza yes, ice cream yes, stew…not so much. The only version of stew that I’ve ever eaten has been made with big chunks of beef, which I’m not a fan of, along with potatoes and carrots.
Stew always seems to be lacking in flavor to me, but that could just be the version I’ve had. Well, I decided to give it another try, but make it with all the things I like.
The first change was to ditch the beef and use chicken thighs instead. Chicken thighs are much better in a stew than chicken breast, because they won’t dry out. The next change was to swap out regular white potatoes with sweet potatoes.
White potatoes normally don’t cut if for me in soups and stew. They tend to not have a whole lot of flavor and I wonder why I’m even bothering to eat them. Sweet potatoes however, have lots of flavor and that little bit of sweetness goes great with all the savory flavors.
The Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew uses a few ingredients that you might not find in your average beef stew. First up, bacon! Bacon adds a great salty, meaty flavor to every bite. You’ll also use some of the bacon grease to cook the vegetables in. No point in letting it all go to waste.
Dry white wine is added once the vegetables have softened. I love adding wine to soup, stew and even some pasta dishes for extra flavor. Just be sure you’re using a wine you like and would want to drink.
The final ingredient you might not expect is soy sauce or tamari if you’re making this gluten-free. Not only does it add saltiness, but a wonderful umami flavor that you won’t get from salt. This stew will be a great addition to your fall menu and one that not only makes a great weeknight dinner, but is perfect for company too. Enjoy!
More Cozy Comfort Food
- 3 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into approximately 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into approximately 2 inch chunks
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons chicken broth or water, whisked together to form a slurry
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add in the chopped bacon. Cook the bacon until crisp then remove from the pot onto a plate lined with paper towels. Pour all of the bacon grease out of the pot except for 1 tablespoon.
2. Turn the heat up to medium-high and add in the chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 4 minutes turning once halfway through. The chicken should not be fully cooked. Remove from the pot onto the plate with the bacon.
3. Leave just enough grease in the pot to sauté the vegetables. Add in the onion, celery and carrots and sauté 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Stir in the sweet potatoes.
4. Pour the wine and tamari into the pot and scrape up any of the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Let the wine reduce for about a minute and add the chicken back in. Pour in the chicken broth and add in the thyme and poultry seasoning. Stir everything together and bring to a boil.
5. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover with a lid. Simmer the stew until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Pour the cornstarch slurry into the pot and stir everything together. Bring the stew to a boil and continue to stir until it thickens. Remove from the heat and taste for seasoning. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 354Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 144mgSodium: 723mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g