Everything you love about chicken fajitas, in burger form! Juicy chicken fajita burgers are topped with sautéed peppers and onions and a big dollop of guacamole.
Fajitas are one of my favorite meals. Not only do I love the way they taste, but how easy and fast they are to make. Skillet chicken fajitas are what I make the most, but honestly I love them with any kind of protein or even with just the vegetables.
Since chicken fajitas are such a hit at our house, it seemed like a no brainer to make these chicken fajita burgers. They only take a couple extra steps to make compared to my skillet chicken fajitas and who does love a good southwest flavored burger?!
Ingredients For Chicken Fajita Burgers
- ground chicken
- chili powder, ground cumin, oregano, and garlic powder
- red bell pepper
- yellow onion
- Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Chicken Fajita Burgers
In a large bowl stir together the cilantro, spices, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Add in the ground chicken and use you hands to gently combine everything together. Line a plate or sheet pan with parchment paper then form the chicken mixture into 4 equal sized patties. Place them on the plate and set aside.
In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the guacamole. Use a fork or potato masher to mash the avocado into the consistency you like for guacamole. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. You may find that you need more lime juice or salt.
Heat a large skillet with some olive oil in it. Add the sliced pepper and onion to the skillet and season with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Sauté the veggies until they’re soft and then remove them from the skillet and onto a plate.
Add more olive oil to your skillet and place the turkey burgers in it. Make sure they have enough room so they aren’t touching each other. Cook the chicken burgers for about 4-5 minutes on the first side and then flip them over and top with the cheese.
Cook them until they’re cooked all the way through. Unlike beef burgers, chicken and turkey burgers need to be cooked thoroughly. There’s no medium-rare or medium, just cooked through to 165° F.
Remove the fajita burgers from the skillet and onto buns of your choice. I like to toast the buns for extra flavor and so they hold up better. Top the burgers with some of the pepper and onion mixture and a scoop of guacamole.
Tips For Making The Best Ground Chicken Burgers
- Don’t use 99% lean ground chicken. If you want your chicken burgers to be juicy they need to have some fat in them. I stick with 93% lean 7% fat when making burgers.
- Don’t overwork the meat or you’ll end up with patties that resemble hockey pucks. I like to mix all of the add in ingredients first and then add the meat to the mixture.
- Ground chicken and ground turkey patties tend to stick to whatever you place them on. To prevent this place them on a piece of parchment or wax paper.
- If you are grilling the burgers, be sure the grates are well oiled so the burgers to stick to them. This also applies if you are cooking them inside in a skillet or on a grill pan. Using a non-stick pan can also help.
More Fajita Recipes
- Steak Fajita Skewers with Cilantro Chimichurri
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
- Grilled Chicken Fajita Salad
- Veggie Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 buns
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the guacamole. Use a fork to mash everything together until your desired consistency is reached. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- In a large bowl stir together the spices, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper for the burgers. Add in the ground chicken and use your hands to gently combine everything. Divide the mixture into fourths and form into patties. Place the patties on a parchment paper lined plate or sheet pan to keep them from sticking.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced pepper and onion to the skillet and sauté until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Remove the peppers and onions onto a plate.
- Lower the heat to medium and add additional oil to the skillet. Place the chicken patties into the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip them over. Place the cheese on top of the burgers and continue to cook them until they are cooked through and have an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Remove the burgers from the skillet and onto warmed or toasted buns. Top them with the peppers, onions, and a spoonful of guacamole.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 460Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 437mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 47g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.