Sheet pan chicken fajitas are one of the easiest one pan dinners you’ll make this week! Made with seasoned chicken, peppers, and onions and ready to eat in 30 minutes.
Why you’ll love them
Sheet pan dinner – Sheet pan dinners are perfect if you love one pan meals with easy clean up. Everything cooks on one sheet pan and you can make clean up even easier by covering the sheet pan in foil or parchment paper.
Family friendly – Chicken fajitas are a meal most families can agree on and kids will enjoy because they aren’t overly spicy.
Prep ahead of time – Fajitas are already an easy dinner to make, but if you’re extra short on time, the chicken and veggies can be sliced and tossed in the homemade fajita seasoning blend a day ahead of time.
- Chicken breasts – Typically use for chicken fajitas. You’ll want to slice the chicken thin so it cooks quickly.
- Bell peppers – I like to use red, yellow or orange peppers because they’re a little sweeter.
- Onion – White or yellow onion can be used.
- Chili powder, garlic and onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin – The fajita seasoning blend.
- Cilantro – If you dislike cilantro, omit it.
- Lime – After the fajitas have cooked, fresh lime juice is squeezed all over them to brighten the flavor.
How to make sheet pan chicken fajitas
Prep the chicken and veggies – Thinly slice the chicken breasts, bell peppers, and onion. You want them to be similar in thickness so everything bakes evenly in the oven.
Season – In a small bowl combine the dried spices, salt, and pepper. For easier cleanup, line a rimmed sheet pan with foil. Spray or rub cooking oil onto the sheet pan.
Add the peppers and onions to one half of the pan and the chicken onto the other. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning evenly over the chicken and veggies along with the cilantro. Drizzle a tablespoon of oil over everything.
Toss the chicken and veggies until coated in the spices and oil and then spread them out into a single layer.
Bake – Bake the fajitas in the oven at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are tender.
Remove from the oven and squeeze fresh lime juice over everything and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of your choice.
Toppings for fajitas
Just like tacos, I love to add toppings to my fajitas. Avocado slices or green chile guacamole are a must. Cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, hot sauce such as Chalula are all great topping choices.
What to serve with chicken fajitas
Typically fajitas are served in flour tortillas. Corn tortillas are also great for a gluten-free option. If you don’t want to use tortillas, try serving them with a side of white or brown rice.
For a low carb option use cauliflower rice or put on top of crisp romaine lettuce. A side of black or pinto beans is always delicious as well.
Chicken fajitas FAQs
Yes. Chicken fajitas are a great freezer meal. Let the meat and veggies cool completely and then put them in a freezer safe container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to eat them, let them defrost in the freezer overnight. Warm them in the microwave or in a skillet on the stovetop over medium heat.
The chicken fajitas will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
That depends on the chili powder you are using. If you are using a mild chili powder, most often found in the grocery store, then no. If you are using one labeled “chile powder” it may be spicier, but should still say on the label whether it’s mild, medium, or hot.
More fajita recipes
- Chicken Fajita Bowls
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
- Chicken Fajita Burgers
- Skillet Chicken Fajitas
- Veggie Fajita Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 white onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano, rubbed between the palms of your hands
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 lime
- Tortillas and toppings of your choice for serving
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Drizzle oil on a sheet pan or line it with foil or parchment paper.
- Cut the chicken, bell peppers into thin strips. Cut the onion into thin half moon slices. Everything should be similar in thickness so it cooks evenly.
- Combine the dried spices, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add the peppers and onions to one half of the sheet pan and the chicken onto the other. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning and chopped cilantro evenly over the chicken and veggies and drizzle the oil on top.
- Toss the chicken and veggies until coated in the spices and oil and then spread them out into a single layer. Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the fajitas from the oven and squeeze fresh lime juice all over them. Serve with warm tortillas and toppings of your choice.
Nutritional information doesn't include tortillas or toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 145mgSodium: 263mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 55g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.