Chicken Parmesan Meatballs are an easy one skillet dinner that really hits the spot when you’re craving comfort food! Serve it over pasta or on it’s own for an easy and delicious take on the classic recipe!
If you’ve never made chicken parmesan, it’s a classic Italian recipe. It consists of breaded chicken that’s typically pan-fried and then coated in tomato sauce, mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese.
I have a lightened up version of skillet chicken parmesan along with multiple twists on chicken parmesan on the blog already. This slow cooker chicken parmesan soup is a favorite when it’s cold outside. Then there’s this quick and easy skillet chicken parmesan dip that’s always a hit when we have friends and family over.
Today I’m adding another twist on chicken parmesan with these chicken parmesan meatballs. The chicken meatballs are tender and loaded with parmesan cheese and Italian spices. They’re simmered in marinara sauce then topped with shredded mozzarella. They’re truly a comfort food dinner and one the whole family will love!
Ingredients For Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- ground chicken
- panko, gluten free panko if needed
- parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese
- yellow onion
- flat leaf parsley
- dried oregano, basil, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes
- marinara sauce
- fresh basil leaves
How To Make Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
Preheat your oven to 350° F. Whisk the panko, parmesan cheese, onion, parsley, egg, and dried spices together in a large bowl. Combining all of the ingredients before adding the meat will help everything get distributed evenly.
Use your hands to mix the ground chicken in with the other ingredients. Don’t overmix the meat or you’ll end up with tough meatballs. Scoop out tablespoon size amount of the meat and roll them into balls then put them on a plate. If you find that the meat mixture is sticking to your hands, wet them with water so they are damp, not dripping. You should end up with approximately 20 meatballs.
Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the meatballs for 4-5 minutes. The meatballs should release from the skillet without tearing, if they don’t let them brown a little longer. Flip the meatballs and let them brown for a couple more minutes on the other side.
Add the marinara sauce to the skillet and top with the shredded mozzarella. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove the skillet from the oven and top with chopped fresh basil.
Can I Bake The Meatballs?
Yes. If you would prefer to bake the meatballs, line a sheet pan with foil and spray it with cooking oil. Place the rolled meatballs on the prepared sheet pan and bake them at 400° F. for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
From that point you’ll add them to the skillet with the warmed marinara sauce and top with the shredded mozzarella. Put a lid on the pan and let everything simmer just until the cheese is melted. It should only take a few minutes.
Can The Meatballs Be Frozen?
Yes. Meatballs freeze great! Once the meatballs are either cooked in the skillet or baked, let them cool completely. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place the meatballs on it in a single layer and not touching each other.
Freeze the meatballs for an hour or two and then transfer them to an airtight container. The meatballs will keep for several months in the freezer.
How To Serve Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- On top of pasta. I served mine on top of pappardelle, but fettuccine or linguine would be good too.
- Over polenta. Try out my creamy version in this oven roasted tomatoes with creamy parmesan polenta.
- Alongside your favorite salad. They would go great with this lemony white bean, arugula and prosciutto salad.
- With warm, crusty artisan bread or garlic bread.
More Meatball Recipes
- Greek Meatballs and Orzo Skillet
- Skillet Enchilada Meatballs
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Meatballs
- Greek Meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce
- Turkey Meatballs in Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/3 cup panko, gluten-free if needed
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated yellow onion
- 1 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl whisk together the panko, parmesan cheese, onion, parsley, egg, dried spices, salt and pepper. Add in the ground chicken and gently combine everything with your hands.
- Scoop out approximately tablespoon size amount of the meat mixture and roll them into balls. Place them on a plate.
- Heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot, swirl the oil to coat the bottom. Add the meatballs to the skillet and brown them for 4-5 minutes before flipping them over and browning another 2 minutes.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the skillet with the meatballs and sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Remove the skillet from the oven and top with chopped fresh basil and extra parmesan cheese if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 1357mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 5gSugar: 11gProtein: 43g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.