This delicious skillet chicken parmesan is all made in one pan! Crispy breaded chicken breasts are nestled in marinara sauce and topped with melted mozzarella cheese, it’s a comfort food dinner you won’t be able to resist!
This recipe and photos have been updated since the original post on 1/21/2015
What Is Chicken Parmesan?
Chicken parmesan is a classic Italian recipe often called chicken parmigiana. It consists of breaded chicken that can be pan fried or baked. The chicken is cover in tomato sauce and mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese.
Ingredients For Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Chicken cutlets – boneless skinless chicken breasts work as well. You’ll want to slice them in half horizontally so they aren’t as thick.
Panko Breadcrumbs – Panko has a drier and flakier consistency compared to traditional dry breadcrumbs. It doesn’t absorb as much oil and will give you a crispier coating. However, you can still use traditional breadcrumbs as an alternative.
Dried basil, dried oregano, and garlic powder
Parmesan cheese – Use good quality parmigiano reggiano if possible for the best flavor. It adds a wonderful salty, nutty, crisp, cheesy flavor and texture to the breadcrumbs.
Mozzarella cheese – I recommend grating your own cheese from the block. The pre-grated cheeses have anti-caking agents in them that dry out the cheese and don’t allow it to melt as well.
Marinara sauce – Make your own or save time and buy your favorite jarred marinara. I like to use Rao’s. If you decide to make your own, try out my recipe for Easy Marinara Sauce.
How To Make Skillet Chicken Parmesan
Preheat your oven to broil. You’re only going to be using it to melt the cheese on top.
Get out two shallow dishes. I like to use pie plates if you have them. In one of the dishes add the panko, parmesan cheese, dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir it all together until combined.
In the second dish use a fork to beat the egg with a tablespoon of water. Take the chicken cutlets and season them on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat some olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I recommend a 12 inch skillet if you have it. You don’t want the heat too high or you’ll risk burning the panko before the chicken is cooked through.
Dredge the chicken cutlets in the egg and then place them in the panko mixture. Use a fork or your hands to completely coat the chicken. Place the chicken in the skillet.
Don’t crowd the chicken. If it won’t all fit cook it in separate batches. Let it cook on one side for 3-4 minutes. The chicken should be golden brown and release fairly easily from the bottom of the skillet.
Flip it over and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until it’s cooked through, 165° F. Remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate.
Pour the marinara sauce into the skillet and scrape up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Let the sauce heat through and then place the chicken back into the skillet.
Top with the shredded mozzarella cheese and put it in the oven to broil for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Top with chopped parsley and serve.
Can Chicken Parm be made ahead of time?
I have found that this is a recipe that is best made and eaten in the same day. If you don’t mind that the breaded exterior of the chicken won’t be as crisp, then that’s a different story.
Things you can do ahead of time are prep the chicken into cutlets if you’re using chicken breasts, combine panko and spices, and if you’re making marinara sauce that can be done several days in advance.
How To Store Leftover Skillet Chicken Parmesan
If you aren’t planning to eat all of the chicken parm the day you make it, you’ll want to keep the chicken separate from the marinara sauce. The sauce will quickly absorb into the breading and it will lose its crispy texture.
What To Serve With Chicken Parmesan
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
Did you make this Skillet Chicken Parmesan? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken cutlets or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half horizontally
- 3/4 cup panko
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a shallow dish combine the panko, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese. In another shallow dish combine the egg with a tablespoon of water and whisk them together. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet with the olive oil over medium heat. Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture then dredge them in the panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the prepared chicken cutlets to the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until the coating is golden brown. Flip the chicken over and cook another 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and add in the marinara sauce cooking until it's heated through, 1-2 minutes. Nestle the chicken into the marinara sauce and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Place skillet in the oven and broil for several minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 389Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 830mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 45g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.