I don’t know about you, but there are some foods that I absolutely love and rarely make. I’m either not making them because they are loaded with too much fat and calories or they are too labor intensive. Chicken parmesan is one of those meals that I love, but because it’s usually heavily breaded and then fried in lots of oil I steer clear of it. This past weekend I was feeling ambitious and decided to not only lighten up on of my favorite dishes, but make it a one pot meal as well. So here it is, Skillet Chicken Parmesan and boy was it delicious!
This past weekend we had some unusually warm weather here in Colorado, 60 degrees, and spring fever started to hit me. I opened up the windows in the house, let in the fresh mountain air, and sat in the sunniest spot soaking up all that vitamin D, it was absolutely perfect! Sadly I know this is just a tease and that we have the potential for snow up until Memorial Day with most of our snow happening in the next couple months. A girl can dream though that spring is right around the corner even if I am sitting here writing this a staring at the snow that still hasn’t melted from our neighbor’s yard.
Enjoying all the beautiful weather over the weekend didn’t leave me with much motivation or time to stand around in the kitchen cooking. Luckily this Skillet Chicken Parmesan doesn’t require a whole lot of time. A big time saver was that I already had my Easy Marinara Sauce made (I could just eat that stuff with a spoon)! Of course if you don’t want to make your own marinara feel free to just use your favorite jarred brand.
To make the Skillet Chicken Parmesan all you need to do is heat up a large cast iron or nonstick skillet. Next, take your chicken cutlets and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Dip the cutlets into a lightly beaten egg white making sure they are covered, then coat each cutlet in the seasoned panko breadcrumb mixture. When your skillet is nice and hot add the chicken in and brown them on each side for about 4-5 minutes. When the chicken is cooked through add in the marinara sauce and top the whole thing with shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Finish the dish off in the oven under the broiler so that the cheese gets nice and golden and crispy!
There you have it friends, Skillet Chicken Parmesan without all the mess and a fraction of the calories thanks to the lightly breaded coating on the chicken and no heavy frying! The flavor is just as amazing and you’ll have more time to dream about the coming of spring!
- 4 chicken cutlets
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cups Easy Marinara Sauce, or jarred marinara
- In a shallow dish combine the panko, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese.
- In another shallow dish combine the egg white and teaspoon of water and lightly whisk them together.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken cutlets with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Dip the chicken cutlets into the egg mixture then dredge them in the panko breadcrumb mixture.
- Add the prepared chicken cutlets to the hot skillet and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes until the coating is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate.
- Turn the heat down to medium low and add in the marinara sauce cooking until it is heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Place the chicken on top of the marinara sauce and top with the remaining parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Place skillet in the oven and broil for several minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.