This Skillet Chicken Parmesan Dip has been lightened up for a healthier appetizer! Easy to make and full of that chicken parmesan flavor, it won’t last long at a party!
It’s been a while since I made a new dip recipe. Since October is one of the busiest sports months of the year and the holidays are around the corner I thought this would be the perfect time to share the recipe for this Skillet Chicken Parmesan Dip.
Usually when you think of dips you serve them as an appetizer, at least that’s what normal people do. I however, can be perfectly satisfied having dip for my dinner. I never really plan for it to be my dinner, but once I get started on a warm, cheesy dip it’s hard for me to stop. I’m starting to believe all those studies saying that cheese is addictive, but there are far worse things to be addicted to if you ask me. As long as you aren’t eating cheesy dips for dinner on a weekly basis then I’m pretty sure you’ll be okay.
A lot of recipes for cheesy dips can go a little overboard on the cheese. I mean I like it, but a stomach can only take so much cheese before it starts to get angry and reject that pound of shredded cheddar you just put in your mouth. Moderation, we all know to do it, we just forget sometimes. I’ve been guilty on several occasions and paid for it the next day. To keep this Skillet Chicken Parmesan Dip on the lighter side and hopefully make the following morning less painful in case you do go overboard with it, I made some easy ingredients swaps and quantity adjustments.
First thing was to cut the amount of cream cheese used. Instead of using an entire block of it, I only used 3 ounces and replaced the rest with plain Greek yogurt. You still get that cream cheese flavor, but you’re saving a ton of calories replacing some of it with Greek yogurt. I do this with almost all of my dips and no one has ever complained about them needing more cream cheese. The second part to lowering the calories was to use less cheese. There is a combination of parmesan cheese and part skim mozzarella which is a great melting cheese. Both of these cheeses are on the lower end of the fat and calories spectrum as far as cheese is concerned and they just happen to work great in this dip. The two other main ingredients in this dip are shredded chicken and marinara sauce which make it extra filling meaning you’ll eat less…hopefully. The flavors are everything you expect from chicken parmesan, but in a fun party appetizer!
- 3 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 ounces non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sliced baguette or crackers for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the cream cheese, yogurt, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Stir in half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheese until combined.
- In a separate bowl stir together the shredded chicken and marinara sauce until combined.
- Take half of the chicken mixture and spread it out into an even layer in the bottom of an 8 inch cast iron skillet.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the chicken.
- Top with the remaining chicken mixture and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the dip is bubbling.
- Serve the dip hot with slices of baguette or crackers.
The nutrition for this dip does not include the baguette slices or crackers, just the dip.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 502mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g