Happy Friday friends! We’ve made it through another week and hopefully you have some fun things planned for the weekend. Along with finishing up painting our master bedroom and getting things back up on the walls, I’ll be making these super easy and out of this world delicious Chipotle Black Bean Tostadas with Onions and Peppers!
Before we dive into the tostadas I have to tell you about my master bedroom refresh that is in progress. This bedroom has needed an update for over a year, but like many things it just kept getting pushed to the side. I’m usually pretty good about updating rooms and giving them a remodel, but I’ve been severely slacking on the upstairs portion of our house. My excuse is that it’s the part of the house that no one other than my husband and I ever see, so it didn’t seem as important to get done right away. Well a couple weeks ago I finally had enough of the ugly peachy tan color and the gross forest green curtains that the previous owners chose and bought some paint. With the exception of some touchups and edging around the windows, our room is now a much more attractive grayish, slightly blue color. I’m kicking myself now for waiting so long to paint because it looks 10,000 times better!
The next step will be to finally hang pictures on the walls, install some blinds, get new curtains, and hopefully find some new bedding. I of course have grander plans for the room like installing tile in the bathroom and refacing the vanity, but that project will have to wait a little longer. All of this remodeling isn’t going to leave much time for cooking so it’s a good thing these Chipotle Black Bean Tostadas with Onions and Peppers are so easy to make!
The tostadas make a great vegetarian meal, vegan if you leave off the chipotle yogurt sauce and cheese, and you get to eat them with your hands which is always fun (says the 5 year old inside of me)! I love the smokey spicy flavor that the chipotle adds to the beans and of course I also had to add some diced green chiles because I’m obsessed. The sautéed peppers and onions on top add a little bit of natural sweetness which is perfect with the spiciness of the black beans. The cheese is of course wonderful because it’s cheese! The finishing touch is the chipotle yogurt sauce which I opted to make instead of using sour cream. Not only is it healthier but it’s eat it by the spoonful delicious! If your weekend is packed and you like to eat Mexican food with your hands then these Chipotle Black Bean Tostadas with Onions and Peppers are the meal for you!
Chipotle Black Bean Tostadas with Onions and Peppers
Vegetarian tostadas topped with spicy chipotle black beans and sweet peppers and onions. Finish them off with a delicious drizzling of chipotle yogurt sauce!
Chipotle Black Beans
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
Onions and Peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 corn tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese and cilantro for toppings
Making the Tostadas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the 6 corn tortillas on the lined baking sheet, spray them with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the tortillas for 10 minutes or until they start to brown around the edges and are crisp.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add all of the ingredients for the chipotle black beans.
- When everything is heated through, about 2-3 minutes, use a potato masher to mash them until they resemble refried beans.
- In a large skillet sprayed generously with cooking spray, add the sliced peppers, onions, chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Saute the vegetables over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until they have softened.
- In a blender or using a whisk, blend together all of the ingredients for the chipotle yogurt sauce until smooth.
Assembling the Tostadas
- Divide the chipotle black beans evenly over the baked corn tortillas and spread them into an even layer.
- Top the beans with some of the shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Top with the onions and peppers.
- Finish the tostadas off with a drizzle of the chipotle yogurt sauce and cilantro if desired.
- Serve immediately.
Pork Tenderloin Tacos with Pico de Gallo
Skinny Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Dip
Tried these for dinner tonight! They were excellent!
Awesome! Thanks so much for trying the recipe Chelsea and I’m glad you liked them!
Raquel @ My California Roots says
Hi Danae! Just came across your blog, and I love it! Vegetarian tostadas are totally up my alley – I can’t wait to give these a go! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much Raquel! You are so sweet and I hope you love the tostadas!
Bam's Kitchen says
I love eating the rainbow! Thanks for the inspiration for a healthy and delicious dish. Sharing everywhere, of course!
Thanks so much Bobbi! I’m right there with you, love eating the rainbow!
I love tostadas, it’s my kind of lunch! We simply love all your pictures and recipes and would love to have you share your pictures with us at foodieportal.com.
Thank you so much! I’ll take a look at it!
Aimee @ Like mother like daughter says
These are so GORGEOUS! So colorful and vibrant. And they sound phenomenal too. That chipotle yogurt sauce, the roasted onions and peppers. Plus I love cilantro!
Thank you Aimee! Right there with you on the cilantro, I don’t know how some people don’t like the stuff!
Michelle @ The Complete Savorist says
Fantastic presentation. Love all the colors and I know it is packed with flavor. YUM
Thanks so much Michelle! Have a great weekend!