Coconut lovers will go crazy for these Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits! Layers of sweet, creamy, coconut pudding and graham cracker crumbs. Top them with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut for an easy and delicious dessert!
Coconut cream pie is a dessert that I’ve loved ever since I was a kid. My dad occasionally would bring one home from Village Inn and I remember loving it so much. I joke with my husband that we should get one from there again. The truth is I’m pretty sure I’d be horribly disappointed in it and wonder why I thought it was so great when I was ten.
Homemade is definitely the way I go these days when it comes to pie. However, sometimes, especially in the summer, you don’t want to turn the oven on or hassle with making a pie crust. The solution is to make coconut cream pie parfaits instead! You still get all of that rich, creamy, coconut flavor, but without all the work.
Ingredients Needed to Make Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits
canned full fat coconut milk
coconut extract and vanilla extract
unsweetened coconut flakes (preferably toasted)
- graham crackers
Most recipes for coconut cream pie use either whole milk or half and half. I swapped this with Pacific Foods Organic Unsweetened Coconut Original Beverage. Not only does it keep these parfaits dairy free, but it helps reduce the calories and fat. There’s only 45 calories and 4 grams of fat in a one cup serving. And since this is a coconut dessert, it made more sense to use the coconut beverage versus traditional dairy to get that added coconut flavor.
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits
- Start by making the pudding/custard. In a large saucepan whisk together the canned coconut milk, coconut beverage, sugar, eggs and cornstarch. Heat the mixture over medium-low heat until it thickens. This make take up to 20 minutes and you’ll want to be whisking almost the entire time so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan or curdle.
- Once the pudding has thickened, remove it from the heat and stir in the extracts and the coconut flakes. If you’re concerned about any lumps in the pudding, run it through a strainer. Put the pudding in a bowl and lay a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of it. Refrigerate for several hours or until the pudding is cold.
- Place the graham crackers into a food processor and pulse them until you’re left with fine crumbs. If you don’t have a food processor, simply put them in a freezer bag, seal it and roll a rolling pin over it until you have fine crumbs.
- To assemble the parfaits start by adding a couple tablespoons of the graham cracker crumbs to the bottom of a small glass, jar or bowl. Top the crumbs with 1/4 -1/2 cup of the pudding or however much you’d like. Finish the parfaits with another tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs, a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
Can the Parfaits Be Made Ahead of Time?
The coconut pudding can be made a day or two in advance. I would wait to assemble the parfaits the day you plan to eat them. The graham cracker crumbs will soften the longer the pudding sits on them.
Can I Make This Into a Pie Instead of Parfaits?
I don’t recommend making this into a pie. The pudding is thinner than traditional coconut cream pie filling. It would likely be too runny and not hold it’s shape when sliced. Of course if this doesn’t bother you, go for it.
These coconut cream pie parfaits will serve anywhere from 4-8 people depending on how big or small you make them. You could even make them shooter size if you’re serving them to a large group.
- 14 ounces canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cups Pacific Foods Organic Unsweetened Coconut Beverage
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 9 whole graham crackers
- Break up the graham crackers and add them to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until they’re fine crumbs. You can also place them in a freezer bag and roll over them with a rolling pin if you don’t have a food processor.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the canned coconut milk, coconut beverage, eggs, sugar and cornstarch until combined. Turn to the stove on and heat the mixture over medium-low heat.
- Stir the mixture constantly until it becomes thick. This may take up to 20 minutes. Once the pudding has thickened remove it from the heat and run it through a strainer (if needed) and into a bowl. Stir in the toasted coconut flakes, coconut extract and vanilla extract. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the pudding and refrigerate until it’s cold.
- To assemble the parfaits, add a couple tablespoons of the graham cracker crumbs to the bottom of a small glass, jar or bowl. Top the crumbs with 1/4 - 1/2 cup of the pudding or however much you'd like. Finish the parfaits another tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs, a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g