Berry Lemon Whipped Yogurt Parfaits are the perfect lighter dessert to make this spring! Greek yogurt, whipping cream and lemon are whipped together and topped with lightly sweetened berries. Creamy and sweet without being over the top!
Happy Monday! I thought we could all use a little something sweet, but not to sweet, to start off the week. These Berry Lemon Whipped Yogurt Parfaits are perfect for spring and a great dessert to make if you want something a little lighter.
Berries with whipped cream for dessert is nothing new and neither is berries with yogurt. Berries mixed with Greek yogurt and honey is almost always what I make for a weeknight “dessert”. However, I wanted something that was more filling that just whipped cream, but felt more like dessert than a bowl of Greek yogurt. The solution was to combine them.
If you’ve never tried Greek yogurt whipped cream, it’s pretty darn tasty and it’s a great way to cut out some of the fat and calories. It’s of course not as rich as eating spoonfuls of whipped cream, but it’s a great alternative and one that won’t leave you regretting your dessert choices and doing an extra hard workout the next morning.
Making the yogurt whipped cream for these Berry Lemon Whipped Yogurt Parfaits is so easy. All you need to do is combine the Greek yogurt, whipping cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment in place. If you don’t have a stand mixer a handheld one works too.
The mixture is beaten on high speed for several minutes, the same way you would if you were making traditional whipped cream. The end result is a fluffy, creamy whipped yogurt that’s full of bright lemon flavor. It won’t be as light as whipped creamy, but definitely not as dense as a bowl of Greek yogurt.
To top the lemon whipped yogurt, I macerated blackberries and raspberries in a honey mint simple syrup. It added a touch of sweetness to the berries and helped bring out their natural juice and make a sauce for the parfaits.
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, granulated sugar may also be used
- 2 mint leaves (optional)
Lemon Whipped Yogurt
- 3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mint leaves for garnish
- In a small saucepan combine the lemon juice and honey (or sugar). Bring the mixture to a boil whisking until combined or if using sugar until it's dissolved. Remove from the heat and add in the mint leaves. Let the mixture steep and cool for 5-10 minutes while you make the lemon whipped yogurt.
Lemon Whipped Yogurt
- Add all of the ingredients to a stand mixer with the whisk attachment in place, a handheld mixer may also be used. Beat the ingredients together, starting on low and increasing the speed to high. Beat for several minutes or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Divide the yogurt into 4 small bowls, glasses or jars then top each with a some of the berries. Garnish with mint if desired then serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 26mgFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 6g
More Desserts Using Greek Yogurt