One more day you guys! One more day! Can you believe it’s Christmas Eve! Hopefully you’ve all been good this year so Santa stops by tonight and leaves you everything that was on your list. If you are like me today will be spent finishing up some last minute baking, wrapping presents, listening to your favorite Christmas music, and preparing for tomorrow’s big Christmas dinner. In case you need one more delicious side dish to add to your table here is my delicious and healthy recipe for Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprout Slaw.
I’m sure you’ve seen plenty of recipes around the internet for roasted brussels sprouts, heck I even have one. Well I thought I would take a different spin on Brussels sprouts and turn them into a slaw. If you think about it Brussels sprouts are essentially mini cabbages and most coleslaw includes cabbage, so I’m not too far off the mark using them in this festive winter slaw!
To make this B-sprout slaw I started by finely shredding the Brussels sprouts in my food processor. If you don’t have a food processor you can just slice them thinly with a knife, it will just take you a little longer. I then chopped up some pecans and tossed them in with the Brussels sprouts along with a generous amount of dried cranberries. The last and most important component to the slaw is the creamy dressing. The dressing is a combination of plain non fat Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and zest, and honey for sweetness. The dressing is whisked together then poured onto the slaw.
The Brussels sprouts immediately start absorbing the dressing and you are left with a perfectly creamy slaw. This Cranberry Orange Brussels Sprout Slaw is a delightful combination of flavors and textures. The pecans provide the crunch in the slaw while the dried cranberries add a chewy sweetness that leaves you digging through the salad trying to get more of them, oh wait maybe that was just me! The dressing is creamy, slightly tangy, and full of fresh orange flavor. This salad is a great way to convert all those Brussels sprout haters into lovers. You don’t even have to tell them that it’s Brussels sprouts since they are shredded (I didn’t tell my husband and he didn’t suspect a thing)!
I hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing Christmas and are surrounded by family and friends! Take a moment to enjoy everything this holiday season has given you, I know I will be!
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 8 tablespoons plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Use a food processor to shred the Brussels sprouts or slice them thinly with a knife.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded Brussels sprouts, pecans, and dried cranberries.
- In a small bowl whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, dijon, honey, vinegar, orange zest and juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss everything until coated.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
The salad is best if it is made the same day it is being served.