Creamy Chicken, Spinach and Rice Stuffed Peppers are a delicious variation on classic stuffed peppers! A family friendly dinner that also works well for meal prep.
The last recipe I’m sharing for August. Can you believe that summer is almost over and fall officially starts in less than a month? Of course you’d never know it was still summer with all the pumpkin floating around. I say it every year, but you won’t see any pumpkin from me until fall officially starts. Until then, I’ve got a classic family friendly dinner with an updated filling, Creamy Chicken, Spinach and Rice Stuffed Peppers.
Stuffed peppers are a meal I’m sure many of us grew up eating. This stuffed pepper recipe is pretty similar to the one my mom would make. I’m still a big fan of the classic recipe, but sometimes I like to change things up and try a different filling. Filling options for stuffed peppers are limitless and I have a few variations of my own that you can find recipes for below.
Some fillings that I’m excited to try out are these Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Peppers and these Breakfast Stuffed Peppers. I never thought to make them for breakfast, but I absolutely love that idea!
The filling for these Creamy Chicken, Spinach and Rice Stuffed Peppers can be made ahead of time. That’s actually what I did when I made them the first time. They’ll just need a few extra minutes in the oven since the filling will be cold. Speaking of the filling let’s talk about how to make it.
The filling is very easy to make especially if you already have cooked chicken and rice on hand. I used leftover rotisserie chicken to save time and while I did make the rice, there’s been plenty of times that I’ve grabbed a packet of the rice you can just pop in the microwave for a minute.
What Can I Substitute the Rice With?
If you’re out of rice or would like to substitute it with something else you have a couple options. Quinoa is a great substitution and I actually debated whether to use it or brown rice in this recipe. If you want a low carb option cauliflower rice would work well, although your filling may be a little runny due to the water content in cauliflower.
To make the filling, sauté minced shallot and garlic in a large pan that you have a lid for. Once they’ve softened, add in the spinach, stir and cover with the lid. It’s a lot of spinach, but it will wilt down significantly. After a minute or so remove the lid and stir in the shredded chicken, rice and room temperature cream cheese.
Once the cream cheese has melted into the mixture turn of the heat and stir in the mozzarella cheese and greek yogurt. Once everything is incorporated the filling should be thick and creamy. Divide the mixture evenly into the halved and hollowed out peppers and bake them in the oven.
You can bake the stuffed peppers on a sheet pan like I did or in a casserole dish. The peppers will bake for 30 minutes, then remove them from the oven and top them with the remaining cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes and serve. They’re creamy and similar in flavor to spinach dip with the addition of rice and chicken. It’s a great recipe to try when you’re looking to change up the usual stuffed pepper routine!
More Stuffed Pepper Recipes
Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Creamy Chicken, Spinach and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked shredded boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 bell peppers (see note), halved and seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray a sheet pan or the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Place the prepared peppers on cut-side up.
- In a large skillet (with a lid) add the olive oil and heat over medium heat. When the skillet is hot add in the shallot and sauté for a minute. Add in the garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
- Add in the spinach, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir everything together then cover with a lid for a minute so the spinach steams and wilts.
- Add the rice, shredded chicken and cream cheese to the spinach and stir together until the cream cheese melts into the mixture. Remove from the heat and stir in half of the mozzarella and all of the Greek yogurt until everything is combined. Taste for seasoning.
- Divide the filling between the 6 pepper halves and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake another 10 minutes. Let the peppers rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
I packed the peppers pretty full with the filling. If you pack them less this recipe will easily make 8 stuffed pepper halves.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 257Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 220mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g
Britt B says
This sounds absolutely delicious, Danae!! Love how easy these are, and they’re the perfect comfort food for fall! :)
Thanks so much Britt!