Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers are a vegetarian dish that’s full of fragrant spices and fresh flavor. You’ll love this updated version of stuffed peppers and won’t miss the meat at all!
Happy Wednesday! Sorry there wasn’t a new recipe on Monday, but I figured you were all like me and enjoying the long weekend. Of course now that we spent the last three days relaxing and having fun, I’m sure the rest of the week will feel incredibly long.
After spending the last few days drinking far too much rosé and grilling more meat than I eat in a week, I thought a healthy vegetarian meal was in order. These Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers may be meatless, but they are by no means flavorless and they won’t leave you hungry.
I don’t make stuffed peppers very often, but every time I do I wonder why they’re not on my meal plan every week. There’s a about a million possibilities on what you can stuff them with. Everything from the traditional recipe you had when you were a kid to something more exotic, like this Mediterranean version.
As I’m sure you probably know, aside from Mexican and Southwest food, Greek and Mediterranean are my favorite ethnic food to both eat and cook. I love the spices used and how fresh the flavors always taste.
These Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers have so much flavor that you won’t even miss the meat. The peppers are stuffed with brown rice, garlic, red onion, chickpeas, green olives, sun dried tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and of course feta.
The herbs and spices used are ones traditionally used in Mediterranean cuisine such as, oregano, cumin, allspice and fresh parsley.To really bring out the flavor of the dry spices, I sautéed them with the onion and garlic for a minute so that their natural oils would release and become even more fragrant.
The filling can be prepared a couple days ahead of time in case you have a busy night and not much time to deal with making and cooking dinner. The leftovers also reheat well, so it would be a great option if you meal prep.
If you’re looking for a new way to make stuffed peppers or a delicious vegetarian meal, then you’ll love these Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers!
More “Stuffed” Recipes
Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Cheesy Taco Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Mediterranean Stuffed Peppers
- 4 bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green olives
- 2 ounces feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Toasted pine nuts and more flat leaf parsley for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Place the prepared peppers in cut-side up.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked rice, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and feta. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- Heat a small skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add in the red onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add in the garlic and spices and sauté another minute. Add in the tomato sauce and parsley and stir everything together cooking for another minute.
- Pour the mixture in with the rice and add in the lemon juice. Stir everything together until it's coated in the sauce. Taste for seasoning then divide the filling into the pepper halves.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 279Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 8g
One word: Delicious! Turned out exactly as expected. Loved the lemon, it really tied the dish together. I’m saving this recipe! Can’t wait to make it again!
There’s no recipe on this page!!!
Hi Jessica. I just got it fixed, sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you have any more issues.