These buffalo chicken stuffed peppers are creamy, spicy, and a must make if you love buffalo chicken! They’re great for an easy weeknight dinner, meal prepping, and a must make for game day!
Why I love these stuffed peppers
Buffalo sauce – If you love buffalo sauce and buffalo chicken inspired recipes, then it’s a no-brainer to make these stuffed peppers. I recently tried this The New Primal buffalo sauce and loved it.
Creamy and cheesy – The spicy chicken filling is so creamy and helps counteract the spice from the buffalo sauce. Since these are stuffed peppers, I had to put some cheese on top.
Protein heavy – Besides the protein from the chicken, you’ll get additional protein from the Greek yogurt and a little from the cheese.
Low carb – If you follow a low carb diet this is a great option for dinner or lunch.
The best way to cut stuffed peppers
Split the pepper in half – This is my preferred method. Cut the pepper lengthwise, through the stem. Cut out the membranes and seeds. The peppers then lay on the sheet pan or in the baking dish cut side up.
Cut the tops off – Cut the top off of the pepper and remove the membrane and seeds. If the peppers are wobbly standing up, slice a thin strip off the bottom so they have a flat base to stand on.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Bell peppers – Any color bell pepper works.
- Chicken – Cooked shredded chicken breasts, thighs or a combination. Use rotisserie chicken to save time.
- Cream cheese – Full fat or low fat both work for this recipe.
- Greek yogurt – Plain low fat or full fat Greek yogurt. You can use non-fat, however it may curdle slightly during the baking.
- Buffalo sauce
- Green onions – I like the more mild flavor of green onions. They also work better in the filling since you won’t be sautéing them.
- Cheddar cheese – Medium or sharp cheddar cheese work well. Buy cheese from the block instead of pre-shredded for the best flavor and texture.
- Blue cheese
How to make buffalo chicken stuffed peppers
Bake the peppers – I like to partially bake the peppers before adding the filling. This way the filling doesn’t get over baked and dried out. Season the peppers with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
Place them on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish cut side up. Bake at 400° F. for 15 minutes. Pour out any liquid that has collected in the peppers and then add in the buffalo chicken filling.
Make the filling – While the peppers are baking for the first time, whisk the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, and green onions in a large bowl. Be sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature so that you don’t have any lumps.Add the shredded chicken to the mixture and stir everything together until thee chicken is coated.
Stuff the peppers – Add equal amounts of the filling to the par-cooked peppers and top them with the shredded cheddar cheese. Bake for another 15 minutes and then remove them from the oven and top with crumbled blue cheese and extra green onions.
- Add cooked rice or quinoa to the filling mixture. I suggest about 1 – 1 1/2 cups of rice total. You may want to increase the Greek yogurt from 1/3 to 1/2 cup and the cream cheese from 1/4 to 1/3 cup.
- Substitute shredded chicken with shredded turkey. This would be a great way to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
- Add beans and or corn to the filling.
- Use mini peppers and turn them into an appetizer.
Storage and reheating
The stuffed peppers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Store them in an airtight container.
To reheat the peppers you can microwave for 30-60 seconds or until warmed through. You can also reheat them in the oven. Bake at 350° F. for 15 minutes or until warmed through.
More stuffed peppers recipes
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Creamy Chicken Spinach and Rice Stuffed Peppers
Did you make these buffalo chicken stuffed peppers? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 3 bell peppers
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt, low fat or full fat work best
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Blue cheese crumbles, optional, but recommended
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove the core and seeds. Place the halved peppers on the baking sheet cut side up and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the peppers are baking, whisk together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, and green onions. Add in the shredded chicken and stir everything together until well combined. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Pour out any liquid that's gathered inside of them and then evenly divide the filling into each half. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for 15 minutes.
- Garnish the tops with crumbled blue cheese, green onions and extra buffalo sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 313mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 44g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.