This quick and easy to make Cucumber Tomato Salad is perfect for summer! Crunchy cucumbers and sweet tomatoes are tossed together in a red wine vinaigrette. Light and fresh and goes great with almost any grilled protein.
The tomato plants in my garden finally have some green tomatoes on them. Hopefully in a couple more weeks they’ll be ready to start picking. There’s nothing better than homegrown tomatoes and I can’t wait to use them in this simple Cucumber Tomato Salad!
When I say simple, I truly mean it about this salad. It took me less than 15 minutes to throw together, uses minimal ingredients, but tastes like a fresh bite of summer. It’s an excellent salad to go with your favorite grilled protein and a great option to take to summer barbecues.
Ingredients Needed to Make the Cucumber Tomato Salad
- English cucumber
- Cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Flat leaf parsley and fresh dill
- Dried oregano
- Red wine vinegar
- Dijon Mustard
- Olive Oil
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Salad
Like I said above this salad is simple to make and you can probably do it in 15 minutes or less. Start by slicing the cucumber into half moon slices, halve the cherry tomatoes and thinly slice the red onion. Chop the parsley and dill and add everything into a serving bowl.
In a glass measuring cup or small jar, add the vinegar, dijon, dried oregano, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk or shake the vinaigrette until it’s emulsified then pour it over the salad. Stir everything together and it’s ready to eat.
Tips For a Successful Salad
Cucumber – I used and English cucumber for this salad, but Persian or regular waxed cucumbers will work too. If using an English or waxed cucumber be sure to scrape out the seeds. They can be bitter and make the salad watery. Persian cucumbers can just be sliced without any seeding or peeling. Waxed cucumbers will need to be peeled if you choose to use them.
The salad will stay fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. It will likely get more watery the longer it sits as both the cucumbers and tomatoes will release water and juice.
Ingredient Additions to the Cucumber Tomato Salad
If you want to add some extra ingredients to the salad here are some suggestions.
- Feta, about 1/3 cup
- Kalamata olives, about 1/4 cup
- Bell pepper, 1-2 peppers color of your choice
- Orzo or any other type of pasta. Double the vinaigrette if you do this.
- 1 English cucumber, seeds scooped out and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large serving bowl combine the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and herbs.
- In a small bowl or jar whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Pour over the salad and stir until coated. Taste for seasoning and serve or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 86Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g