Grilled Radishes with Brown Butter, Thyme and Sea Salt are an easy side dish for spring or summer. Grilling gives them a sweetness with a hint of smoke and the brown butter, thyme, and sea salt put them over the top!
How many times have you gone to the store and loaded up on produce with the best intentions for it only to find some of it sitting at the bottom of your crisper drawer at the end of the week looking sad and nearly inedible? That used to happen to me quite often and would make me so mad. I hate wasting food!
Well, a couple weeks ago I saw some beautiful radishes at the store. They aren’t something I buy on a regular basis, but they were so pretty I couldn’t resist. My original plan was to roast them, they taste amazing when they’ve been roasted. Needless to say it was almost a week later and I found them in very bad shape and was on the verge of throwing them out.
As I looked at the brown juice and mushy leaves, I realized that the radishes themselves were actually fine. Once I got past the gross mess of leaves and gave the radishes a thorough scrubbing they were good as new!
I didn’t want to chance them going bad so I immediately started thinking of what to do with them. It’s been way too hot here for me to turn on the oven and roast the radishes so I decided to try grilling them.
The flavor of the grilled radishes was so good! They taste similar to when you roast them, but with that delicious open flame grilled flavor added in. To flavor the radishes even more I drizzled with a little melted brown butter which is always a good choice, fresh thyme, and sea salt. Eating radishes with butter and salt is nothing new, but the brown butter and thyme took them to a whole new level. I highly recommend using sea salt or kosher salt over table salt, not all salts are created equal.
Before you toss away produce that looks like it’s past it’s prime, take a minute and examine it a little closer. You may find that with a little love and attention you can still create something incredibly delicious with it!
- 4 cups radishes, stems removed and halved lengthwise depending on how big they are
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted and browned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, chopped
- Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Preheat your grill or a grill pan over medium high heat. Spray the halved radishes with cooking oil or brush them with a little olive oil. Place the radishes cut side down on the grill or grill pan.
- If the radishes are too small to go on the grill use a grill basket to keep them from falling through the grates. Grill the radishes for 3-4 minutes per side, they should just start to soften, but still have plenty of crunch.
- Remove the radishes from the grill and place them in a serving bowl or platter. Drizzle the radishes with the brown butter and sprinkle them with thyme and sea salt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g
More Grilled Side Dish Recipes