Healthy Loaded Baked Potatoes are a delicious, easy, and healthy dinner! Swap out the butter and sour cream on top of your potato and replace it with cottage cheese and vegetables.Yesterday’s Zucchini Lasagna Rolls recipe was one that took a little more prep and time to make, one that is best done on the weekend when there is more time. Today’s recipe for Healthy Loaded Baked Potatoes is one of my favorite, easy, 15-20 minute dinners that is practically effortless!
I’ve been eating these healthy loaded baked potatoes for years. My mom used to make them back when I lived at home and I love them as much now as I did back then. While these are called baked potatoes, you honestly don’t even need to bake them in the oven unless that’s important to you. The microwave works just as well and cooks them in a fraction of the time. Since it’s still warm I didn’t feel like turning on the oven and the idea of my potatoes being cooked in 10 minutes rather than 50 sounded pretty good!
Normally when I think of a loaded baked potato three things come to mind. Butter, sour cream, and cheese. I’ll be the first to admit that they sure do make a boring old baked potato taste pretty darn good, but all that fat isn’t doing anyone any good. To make these loaded baked potatoes healthy, but still give them lots of flavor so you don’t feel like you are missing out on the loaded part, I swapped out most of the high saturated fat ingredients for lower fat options and ones with plenty of protein.
Instead of butter and sour cream adorning the top of these spuds there is a generous amount of low fat cottage cheese taking their place. I’m going to be honest with you, if you don’t like cottage cheese I doubt you will like these, because next to the potato the cottage cheese is the main ingredient. Cottage cheese is a great low fat, high protein substitute for butter and sour cream.
To the cottage cheese I added shredded sharp cheddar cheese, yellow bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and paprika. The final ingredient which is optional if you want to keep these vegetarian, is bacon. I loved the crisp, salty, smokey flavor it adds to the potatoes! These loaded baked potatoes are perfect for a fast weeknight dinner and one that you can feel good about serving your family!
- 4 small russet potatoes, skin scrubbed clean
- 1 1/2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork then place them in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 5-6 minutes, then turn them over and microwave again for another 5-6 minutes or until they are tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking add all the remaining ingredients to a bowl and toss together until combined. When the potatoes are done cooking split them open with a knife and spoon the cottage cheese mixture evenly over the top of each one.
If you are using large potatoes serve 1/2 of a potato per person. If the potatoes are small serve 1 whole potato per person.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 824mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 24g