Lemon Herb Chicken and Potato Skillet is fresh, healthy and easy to make. It’s perfect for busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table fast!
It’s been a while since I came up with an easy one skillet dinner. I have a whole section on the blog dedicated to skillet and one pot meals because to be honest, they’re my favorite way to cook. As I’m sure is the same with many of you, I don’t like cooking dinners that dirty a bunch of dishes, use a ton of ingredients and leave me standing in the kitchen for far too long.
Today I’m adding to the skillet collection and sharing the recipe for this Lemon Herb Chicken and Potato Skillet. The spices and herbs I chose to use in this recipe give it a Greek flavor profile, but if you aren’t into that I’ve listed some herb substitutions below.
What Do I Need to Make the Chicken and Potato Skillet?
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs if you prefer
- Baby potatoes, fingerling potatoes or red potatoes
- Dried oregano, dill, garlic powder and smoked paprika
- Flat leaf parsley and fresh dill
The first step to making the skillet dinner is to cook the potatoes in the microwave until they’re tender. The reason you’re doing this is to prevent them from being overcooked on the outside and raw on the inside. Doing this will also save you a lot of time.
How to Par Cook Potatoes in the Microwave
- Clean the potatoes first. If you are using baby potatoes or fingerling potatoes cut them in half (lengthwise for the fingerlings). If you use red potatoes dice them into approximately 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place the potatoes in a shallow microwave safe dish such as a pie plate or casserole dish. Add a few tablespoons of water to the potatoes.
- Microwave on high for 5-8 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender, but not falling apart.
Once you have the potatoes cooked you’ll cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces and combine the dried spices. You can do all of this while the potatoes cook in the microwave. Half of the dried spices will be used to season the chicken and the other half for the potatoes.
I like to use a cast iron skillet for this recipe because it gives both the chicken and potatoes a nice crust on the outside. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet any large skillet you have should work.
The chicken is sautéed first and then removed from the skillet onto a plate or pushed to the side if your skillet is large enough. The potatoes then go in and since they’re already cooked, you’ll only need to sauté them for a couple minutes to finish the cooking and crisp up the exterior. The chicken is then added back to the skillet and everything gets tossed together with the fresh lemon juice and herbs.
Alternate Herbs to Use
If you don’t like dill I would suggest using fresh oregano or thyme. You won’t need as much, I suggest half the amount. You can also omit the dried dill in the spice mixture and replace it with more oregano or a 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme.
This chicken and potato skillet dinner is great to make when you need dinner on the table fast. If you do meal prepping, it’s also a great option as it holds up well in the refrigerator for several days.
Salads to Serve with the Chicken and Potato Skillet
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound baby, fingerling or red potatoes, diced (halved if using baby or fingerling)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- Combine the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a microwave safe shallow dish, add the prepared potatoes and a few tablespoons of water. Microwave the potatoes on high for 5-8 minutes or until fork tender, but not falling apart. Pour out any excess water once cooked.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the chicken, half of the spice mixture and season with salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and onto a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet, swirl to coat the bottom and add in the potatoes. Season with the remaining spice mixture, salt and pepper. Cook for approximately 2 minutes or until lightly browned on the outside.
- Add the chicken back into the skillet along with any juices. Squeeze in the lemon juice and sprinkle on the lemon zest and fresh herbs. Stir everything together until coated. Serve as is or with one of the salads mentioned above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 97mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 3gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g