Think chicken breasts are boring, think again! This Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken is full of savory, tart, peppery flavor and bakes in an amazing shallot lemon butter sauce. It’s a quick and easy dinner that can be on the table in 30 minutes!
Why I love this chicken
One pan dinner – If you’re like me and hate doing dishes then you’ll appreciate that this lemon pepper chicken all comes together in one skillet.
The sauce – The lemon butter shallot sauce is rich, tart, and the best part is, it takes no effort on your part to make. It thickens and comes together as the chicken bakes in the oven.
Minimal ingredients – For a chicken dinner that has so much flavor, you don’t need a ton of ingredients to make it, and you probably already have most of them!
What is lemon pepper seasoning?
Lemon pepper seasoning is simply granulated lemon zest and cracked black peppercorns. The citrus oil from the lemon infuses with the pepper and then they are baked and dried.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Lemon pepper seasoning – Found at most grocery stores in the spice aisle or you can make your own.
- Italian herb seasoning – not traditional, but I love the addition of the dried oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary.
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil – Used to quickly sauté the chicken breasts.
- Unsalted butter – gives the sauce a rich flavor.
- Shallot – shallot has a milder and sweeter flavor than yellow onion and works best in this sauce.
- Parsley – I generally like to finish my recipes with a sprinkling of chopped fresh herbs on top. Flat leaf parsley is the perfect accompaniment to the lemon.
How to make baked lemon pepper chicken
Preheat your oven to start. You’ll want it to be ready to go as soon as the chicken is seared. In a small bowl combine the dry spices along with salt if your lemon pepper seasoning is salt free.
Sprinkle the dry rub all over the chicken, using your hands to pat it in well. Heat a little oil in a large oven safe skillet over medium-high heat. I like to use avocado oil or olive oil.
Place the chicken breasts into the skillet being careful not to crowd them. If there isn’t enough room, they’ll steam rather than sear. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes and then flip them over.
Add the butter, shallots, and chicken broth into the skillet. Make sure it gets nestled down in between the chicken. Place the lemon slices into the skillet and then put the skillet in the oven and let the chicken bake for 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165° F.
Remove the skillet from the oven and spoon some of the sauce over the tops of the chicken breasts. Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley and serve. Check out my suggestions for what to serve with it below.
- Pound out the thick end of your chicken breasts so they cook evenly.
- Use a skillet that’s large enough so there’s space in between the chicken breasts. This will allow them to get a nice sear.
- Use a meat thermometer to test whether or not the chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be 165° F.
What to serve with it
- Rice or quinoa – For extra lemon pepper flavor, add some of the seasoning to the rice or quinoa.
- Serve it on top of pasta. Fettuccini would be delicious as would egg noodles.
- This summer quinoa salad has a lemon vinaigrette that would pair great with the chicken.
- For a lower carb side dish try spaghetti squash with feta and herbs.
More chicken recipes
Did you make this Baked Lemon Pepper Chicken? I’d love if you’d leave a recipe rating and review below.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 shallot finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 -1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 425° F. In a small bowl whisk together the lemon pepper seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the chicken coating all sides of it.
- In a large skillet heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot place the chicken breasts in being careful not to crowd them. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes and then flip it over.
- Add in the butter, shallots, and chicken broth. Be sure the ingredients are in the bottom of the pan. Add in the slices of lemon and then place the skillet into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165° F.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and spoon some of the sauce on top of the chicken breasts. Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 43g
Nutritional information is an estimate. Please consult a registered dietician for the most accurate nutritional information.