So many bright, fresh flavors in this Mediterranean Bulgur Salad with Carrots, Almonds and Feta! It’s so good you’ll be going back for seconds and thirds!
It’s been a while since I shared a new salad recipe with you. Cold weather tends to make me want to create new soup recipes over cold salads. However, cold or hot weather aside, you need to make this Mediterranean Bulgur Salad with Carrots, Almonds and Feta asap!
I’ve been getting overly excited for spring and warm weather. I know there’s still a ways to go until it’s here to stay, especially in Colorado when we often get some of our biggest snowstorms in the spring. The worst is when they happen in May. There’s a saying around here that you don’t plant your vegetable or flower gardens until after Memorial Day and so far that saying has held true since we’ve been living here.
I think the days getting longer and not having to do entire morning runs in complete darkness, started the itch for the warm weather to return. I also used the grill last Sunday to grill some chicken wings for the Super Bowl and realized how much I missed outdoor cooking and eating on the deck. Only a few more months and they can’t go by quickly enough!
This Mediterranean Bulgur Salad with Carrots, Almonds and Feta might remind you of tabbouleh salad, although I actually think I prefer this one. It’s loaded with fresh herbs, in this case cilantro and mint and the vinaigrette is a fresh, earthy combination of lemon juice, cumin, olive oil and a pinch of cayenne for some heat.
While I would never advise you to skip the cilantro because it’s by far my favorite herb, if you have a repulsion to it, I think flat leaf parsley would substitute well. If you’re vegan, just skip the feta and you’ve got a great side dish or add a can of chickpeas and eat it as a main dish.
This was intended to be a side dish the day I made it, but it was one of those salads that turned into a main dish and then some for me. I kept opening the fridge and taking a bite and by the time the day was over, I’m pretty sure I had eaten at least 3 servings. This is definitely a salad that will be on repeat at our house and I can’t wait to serve it with my Greek Lemon Chicken Skewers recipe this summer!
Mediterranean Bulgur Salad with Carrots, Almonds and Feta
- 1 cup medium-grind bulgur
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Place the bulgur in a medium bowl and cover with boiling water. Top with a plate or plastic wrap and let sit for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. If any liquid is leftover, strain it out. Let the bulgur cool while you prep the rest of the salad.
- In a serving bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- When the bulgur is ready add it to the serving bowl and toss together with the dressing already in the bowl.
- Add in the shredded carrots, green onions, cilantro, mint, almonds and feta. Gently toss everything together until combined. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately or cover and chill until ready to serve.
- If you plan to make the salad in advance wait until just before serving to add in the toasted almonds so that they stay crunchy.
- The salad will keep for several days in the fridge.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 177kcal Calories from fat 68|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
More Mediterranean Inspired Salads