Pumpkin spiced muffins filled with toasted pecans and dipped in a sweet and boozy bourbon maple glaze! A must make this fall and holiday season!
I hope you guys aren’t completely tired of all the pumpkin recipes because I’ve got one more for you today, Pumpkin Pecan Muffins with Bourbon Maple Glaze. I started the month with pumpkin and I’m ending the month with pumpkin because it’s October and that’s what we do in October. Next month I won’t pump out quite so many recipes using it, but knowing me there will probably be a couple more before Thanksgiving.
I posted a picture of these muffins on Instagram about a week ago and you all really seemed to get excited about them. I don’t know if it was the pumpkin or the bourbon that got everyone excited…I’m going with the bourbon. Now don’t get me wrong these pumpkin pecan muffins are delicious without the glaze, and quite healthy too I might add. However, that bourbon maple glaze does something magical to the muffins. Obviously it makes them sweet, but the combination of the bourbon, maple, and pumpkin all in one bite…mind blowing!
I’ve never actually dipped a muffin in glaze before. Probably because I assumed this turned it more into dessert rather than breakfast, which FYI these muffins make an awesome dessert too. I couldn’t resist the idea of dipping them in that shiny, boozy glaze, of which several spoonfuls ended up in my mouth…shocker.
Since they are a little fancier than the average batch of muffins you make to grab and eat on your way to work, I guess I would label these as brunch/weekend/special occasion muffins. With the holidays just around the corner I’m sure many of us will be hosting brunches or having a special breakfast with family. These pumpkin pecan muffins with bourbon maple glaze need to make an appearance on the table.
Family and friends will take one look at the glaze shimmering on top of the muffins, running down the sides and immediately be drawn to them. Then you’ll tell them there’s bourbon in the glaze and…game over. Those muffins will be gone before you can get one for yourself, so make sure to hide one in the kitchen before setting them out, you deserve it!
Pumpkin Pecan Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour if possible
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, coconut sugar may be used as well
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
Bourbon Maple Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, add a little more if the glaze is too thick
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pumpkin Pecan Muffins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a muffin tin with parchment paper muffin cups.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In a small bowl whisk together the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, egg, and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and fold together until almost combined with a rubber spatula.
- Fold the pecans into the batter then fill the muffin cups until they are approximately 3/4 of the way full.
- Place the muffin tin on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 14-16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and cool them completely on a wire cooling rack before glazing.
Bourbon Maple Glaze
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a glass measuring cup until smooth. (this will make it easier to dip the muffin tops in the glaze)
- Dip each muffin top individually into the glaze letting the excess glaze run off.
- Place the muffins back on to the wire cooling rack until the glaze sets up and starts to harden.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 280mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 20g Protein: 8g