Perfectly roasted squash topped with savory, salty and sweet toppings! This Roasted Squash with Pesto, Feta and Pomegranate Seeds is loaded with flavor and the perfect side dish to make this winter!
I thought I’d sneak in one last recipe before Christmas. To be honest I have no idea what I’m making for Christmas dinner, you’d think a food blogger would be more prepared. I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t get my act together this year. At least I know one thing I’m making and that’s this Roasted Squash with Pesto, Feta and Pomegranate Seeds.
This was a spur of the moment recipe idea that came to me on one of my runs a couple weeks ago. I couldn’t get it out of my head during my whole workout, which ended up being a good distraction during a tempo run that wasn’t going so great.
After my run I immediately went to the store and bought everything I needed to make the recipe and made it that afternoon. I love when I come up with an idea for a recipe and am so excited about it I can’t wait 24 hours to try it out. What was even better, was that it was so good on the first try that I didn’t even have to make any revisions or test it out again before sharing it with you!
The recipe for this Roasted Squash with Pesto, Feta and Pomegranate Seeds is incredibly simple and although there’s some measurements you can add as much or little of the toppings as you’d like. The most time consuming part of this recipe is slicing the squash and waiting for it to roast. Whenever I cut up squash there’s always a little fear that this might be the time I lose a finger. Some of those suckers are so hard to cut through, especially when part of the stem is still attached.
Once the squash slices are roasted, put them on a serving plate and drizzle with your favorite prepared or homemade pesto. Sprinkle on plenty of feta cheese crumbles, pomegranate seeds and toasted pine nuts. That’s all there is to it and the flavor is out of this world! Sweet, salty, nutty, it’s perfection. If your Christmas dinner needs a pop of festive holiday colors and flavors, then this is the side dish to make. Merry Christmas friends!
- 2 acorn squash, seeds removed and cut into about 1 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 400° F. and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the squash slices on the baking sheet and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss together until coated and then spread them out into a single layer.
- Roast on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender, flipping them over halfway through.
- Place the roasted squash slices on a serving platter and top with the pesto, feta, pomegranate seeds and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 9mg Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g