Salsa Verde Baked Chicken is the ultimate easy dinner! Seasoned chicken breasts, black beans, corn and salsa verde all bake together in one dish. Top it with cheese for a healthy comfort food meal everyone will love!
Salsa Verde Baked Chicken is one of those recipes that I could make every week. One because it’s so easy even my husband who can’t cook could handle this one. And two because I’m a huge fan of anything that resembles Mexican or Southwest food. The ingredients and flavors in this baked chicken are ones that most people enjoy, so it’s a recipe that would be great to try out on the whole family.
What Do I Need to Make Salsa Verde Baked Chicken?
- Chicken breasts
- Chili powder, garlic powder and cumin
- Salsa verde
- Black beans
- Canned green chiles
- Frozen corn
- Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
I mentioned above that even my husband who doesn’t cook could make this. I wasn’t exaggerating. If you’re new to cooking this recipe is the perfect one to start with. To start, you’ll need a casserole dish that holds approximately 2 quarts. Spray it with cooking spray, then add in half of the jar of salsa verde, the can of black beans, corn, green chiles and about a teaspoon of the spice mixture.
The next step is to season the chicken with salt, pepper and the remaining spice mixture. The chicken goes into the casserole dish raw with the corn and bean mixture.
Is It Safe to Add the Chicken in Raw With the Rest of the Ingredients?
Yes. Everything will bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F. If the chicken is cooked all the way through, then you’re in the clear and don’t need to worry about cross contamination with the rest of the ingredients. The easiest way to ensure your chicken is cooked to the correct temperature is to use a meat thermometer.
Once the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the oven and top it with shredded cheese. I used Colby Jack, but cheddar, Monterey Jack or even pepper Jack for a spicy kick would be delicious.
The Salsa Verde Baked Chicken can be eaten as is, but if you’re in the mood for extra carbs try these ideas.
- Authentic Mexican Rice
- Cilantro lime brown rice found as the side dish for the Chipotle Maple Grilled Salmon
- Cut up the chicken and use everything as a filling for tacos or burritos
- Cilantro Lime Quinoa
More Salsa Verde Recipes
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 15 ounces can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese
- Cilantro, avocado and lime wedges for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. and spray a 2 quart or similar sized casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Pour the beans, green chiles, corn and half of the jar of salsa verde into the casserole dish. Combine the spices in a small bowl and add a teaspoon into the casserole dish.
- Stir everything together until combined. Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and the remaining spice mixture. Nestle them into the bean and corn mixture. Pour the remaining salsa verde over the top of the chicken.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165° F. Remove from the oven and top with the shredded cheese. Put the chicken back in the oven and bake until melted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve the chicken topped with chopped cilantro, avocado chunks and lime wedges if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 1046mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 9gSugar: 7gProtein: 56g