This Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup has all the wonderful flavor of the enchiladas without all the work! Hearty, creamy, full of green chiles and totally satisfying!
Thanks to my friends at American Dairy Association Mideast for sponsoring this post. As always all opinions are my own.
Another Thanksgiving is in the books and now it’s time to move on to what for many is the busiest time of the year. Between holiday shopping, parties, school functions and out of town guests, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of time to think about what you’re going to make for dinner. Lucky for you, I thought of the recipe for this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup well before the holiday season started. Now all you have to do is make it!
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make the Soup
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, chili powder
- Diced diced green chiles
- Green enchilada sauce
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Cannellini beans
- Frozen corn
- Low fat cream cheese
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt can also be used
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and avocado slices
There are two things about this soup that were a must when I decided to make it. First, green chiles. I’ve always been more partial to green chile over red chile, I blame it on my Southwest roots. Green chile chicken enchiladas are probably my favorite comfort food, but they do require a fair amount of time to make. Since this is a recipe to make when you’re short on time, the solution was to take all the flavors that I love about the enchiladas and put them in a slow cooker soup.
The second must have in this soup was the creamy factor. Creamy is usually a word that screams fat or calorie bomb, but not in this soup. Nope, to keep the calories under control I used a combination of low fat cream cheese and plain Greek yogurt. Both add richness, tang and of course the creamy consistency I wanted.
Not only was Greek yogurt a great way to lighten up this soup, but it’s also a way you can lighten up many of your holiday dishes, dips and desserts this season. It’s a great way to add extra protein, which will keep you full longer and it also packs in dairy’s 9 essential nutrients. Keep dinner easy, delicious and healthy during this busy time of the year and give this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup a try.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, green chile powder if possible
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounce diced diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can green enchilada sauce, I like the Hatch brand
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or whole milk Greek yogurt can also be used
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and avocado slices for toppings
- Add the ingredients through the corn into the slow cooker, stir and cover with the lid. Set on low for approximately 6 hours, medium for 4 hours or high for 3 hours.
- When the time is up remove the chicken breasts and let them cool for several minutes before shredding. Once shredded add the chicken back in.
- Whisk in the cream cheese until it incorporated. Turn off the slow cooker and whisk in the Greek yogurt. Whisk immediately so that the yogurt doesn't curdle. Serve the soup topped with shredded cheese, cilantro and avocado slices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 469Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 1214mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 8gSugar: 20gProtein: 53g