This Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup has all the wonderful flavor of the enchiladas without all the work! Hearty, creamy, full of green chiles and totally satisfying!
Thanks to my friends at ADA Mideast for sponsoring this post. As always all opinions are my own.
Another Thanksgiving is in the books and now it’s time to move on to what for many is the busiest time of the year. Between holiday shopping, parties, school functions and out of town guests, it doesn’t leave a whole lot of time to think about what you’re going to make for dinner. Lucky for you, I thought of the recipe for this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup well before the holiday season started. Now all you have to do is make it!
There are two things about this soup that were a must when I decided to make it. First, green chiles. I’ve always been more partial to green chile over red chile, I blame it on my Southwest roots. Green chile chicken enchiladas are probably my favorite comfort food, but they do require a fair amount of time to make. Since this is a recipe to make when you’re short on time, the solution was to take all the flavors that I love about the enchiladas and put them in a slow cooker soup.
The second must have in this soup was the creamy factor. Creamy is usually a word that screams fat or calorie bomb, but not in this soup. Nope, to keep the calories under control I used a combination of low fat cream cheese and plain Greek yogurt. Both add richness, tang and of course the creamy consistency I wanted.
Not only was Greek yogurt a great way to lighten up this soup, but it’s also a way you can lighten up many of your holiday dishes, dips and desserts this season. It’s a great way to add extra protein, which will keep you full longer and it also packs in dairy’s 9 essential nutrients.
While we’re on the subject of dairy, I want to tell you can help “pour” it forward this holiday season. Milk is the number one most requested nutritious product by food banks, yet they rarely receive it. The Great American Milk Drive is delivering thousands of gallons of milk to families in need and a simple $5 donation will provide a family-in-need with one gallon. It’s an easy way to give back this holiday season!
Keep dinner easy, delicious and healthy during this busy time of the year and give this Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup a try.
The ADA Mideast will donate 25 cents (the average cost of one glass of milk) to the Great American Milk Drive for every new follower they receive on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, through December 13th, up to $2,500.
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, green chile powder if you can find it
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces diced green chiles
- 2 cups green enchilada sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or full fat may also be used
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese, cilantro and lime wedges for serving
- Heat the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for 3 minutes then add in the grated garlic and sauté another minute. Add them into to the slow cooker.
- Add the ingredients through the cannellini beans into the slow cooker, stir, cover with the lid and set on low for approximately 6 hours, medium for 4 hours or high for 3 hours.
- When the time is up remove the chicken breasts and let them cool for several minutes before shredding. Add the corn into the slow cooker.
- While the chicken cools, whisk together the cream cheese and yogurt in a medium sized bowl until combined. Ladle some of the broth into the bowl and whisk until the yogurt/cream cheese mixture warms and thins out. Essentially what you are doing is tempering it so it doesn't curdle when added into the slow cooker.
- Once the yogurt/cream cheese mixture is warm, pour it into the slow cooker and whisk everything together.
- Add the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir everything together. Serve immediately topped with cheese, cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 440kcal Calories from fat 70|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|