This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup couldn’t be easier to make! Loaded with chicken, black beans and all the toppings you could possibly want. It’s the perfect dinner for a cold night!
Time for some more soup! I took a little break because I was making it quite a bit in the beginning of fall, this soup was a favorite of mine. However, the soup craving hit again early last week and the result was this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup.
My timing for making this soup was right on since I was still trying to get over a stupid cold that I’d had since before Thanksgiving and my husband then came down with it last Tuesday. I haven’t had a cold in over two years and of course it chooses to sneak up on me right before my favorite holiday. Don’t worry I was still able to stuff myself on Thanksgiving, but the effort it took to breathe while eating was less than desirable.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup couldn’t be easier to make, which is welcomed during this busy time of the year. It’s also healthy, depending on how many tortilla chips and cheese you pile on top. I won’t judge because there were plenty of both on top of mine. As you probably already know, I’m all about the toppings when it comes to my soup.
This soup is fairly spicy, so if you’re sensitive to heat look for a mild enchilada sauce and cut back on the amount of chili powder in the recipes. Yes, I did say enchilada sauce. It’s a sneaky way to get a ton of flavor. Most rely on just the spices, which you’ll find in mine as well (cumin, chili powder and coriander), but I really wanted to drive home that Southwest flavor and a good quality one will do just that.
You can of course make your own enchilada sauce, but I’ve found two really great store bought brands that I constantly use in my recipes. I love the Hatch brand as well as the Frontera brand and always have one of them in my pantry. Both brands also happen to be gluten-free if that’s of importance to you.
The soup cooks on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker. If you do cook it on low I advise removing the chicken breasts at 6 hours to prevent them from getting dry. Top the chicken tortilla soup with tortilla chips (obviously), queso fresco, cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime for a soup that will leave you warm and satisfied. Perfect for all the cold days ahead!
More Southwest Inspired Soup Recipes
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Noodle Soup
Slow Cooker Creamy Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup couldn't be easier to make! Loaded with chicken, black beans and all the toppings you could possibly want!
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon grated or minced garlic
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Tortilla chips, cilantro, avocado slices, queso fresco and lime wedges for toppings
- Place the onion and garlic in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 3-4 minutes stirring every minute.
- Place the par-cooked onions and garlic into the slow cooker. Add in the chicken breasts and sprinkle the spices, salt and pepper over the top. Add in the remaining ingredients and cover with the lid.
- Cook for approximately 4 hours on high and 6-8 hours on low. If cooking on low remove the chicken at 6 hours to prevent it from becoming dry. Shred the chicken then return it to the slow cooker and stir everything together. For serving top the soup with tortilla chips, cilantro, avocado slices, queso fresco or cheese of choice and lime wedges.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1942mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 10gSugar: 12gProtein: 38g
Leave a Reply