Southwest Breakfast Tostadas are a delicious Tex-Mex inspired breakfast! Crisp corn tortillas topped with Southwest spiced black beans, a fried egg, avocado, hot sauce and cilantro.
I’ve been meaning to share a recipe for breakfast tostadas or tacos for quite a while now. I was first introduced to the breakfast taco a few years ago when I was visiting my sister in Austin. If you live in Austin or have visited you know exactly what a breakfast taco is and I guarantee you loved it! A breakfast taco is a corn tortilla filled with all sorts of breakfast goodies like eggs, bacon, chorizo, potatoes, black beans, cheese, salsa, and pretty much all the toppings you’d find on your average taco.
My favorite place to grab a breakfast taco while I was in Austin was at Tacodeli. My sister and I would go out for our morning run then treat ourselves afterwards with one of their delicious Tex-Mex tacos. Those breakfast tacos made some of the most sweaty humid runs I’d ever experienced totally worth it!
I’m so excited because at the end of August I’ll be going back to Austin for another visit and you better believe I’ll be feasting on breakfast tacos every morning I’m there! Until then I’ll keep making these Southwest Breakfast Tostadas which are my spin on the breakfast taco. The Southwest Breakfast Tostadas are served on a crisp corn tortilla. I blackened mine up by holding it over the open flame on my gas stove. You could also broil or grill the tortillas until they are crisp if you don’t have a gas stove. Next I heated up a can of black beans in a small saucepan. Once they were warm I added cumin, chili powder, a little hot sauce, and some plain Greek yogurt. I mashed the beans, yogurt, and spices all together until they resembled refried beans.
I spread a layer of the beans on top of the crispy corn tortillas then topped them with all the amazing breakfast toppings that you might find on a breakfast taco. Cheese, an egg of course, avocado slices, cilantro, green onions, more hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime juice. The tostadas were incredible and so filling! These breakfast tostadas are a great way to change up the usual eggs and toast for breakfast, especially if you’re a lover of Southwest flavors!
More Egg Dishes
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or cheese of choice
- 1/2 of an avocado, slice thin
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- Crisp the corn tortillas over an open flame on a gas stove or grill or broil in the oven.
- In a small saucepan heat the beans over medium heat.
- When the beans are warm, remove from the heat and add in the chili powder, cumin, salt, hot sauce, and Greek yogurt.
- Use a potato masher to mash the bean mixture to the desired consistency.
- Spread a layer of the beans on top of the corn tortillas and sprinkle each one with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Over medium heat, spray a large skillet with cooking spray.
- Fry 2 eggs at a time in the skillet until the whites are set then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Gently place the fried eggs on top of the tostadas.
- Top the eggs with slices of avocado, cilantro, green onions, hot sauce, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 200mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 10gSugar: 1gProtein: 18g