Southwest Chicken and Rice Soup is healthy comfort food at it’s best! If you love soups that keep you full for hours and have a spicy kick, then this one is for you!
The snow and cold weather are back after a two day break. It’s honestly feeling more like December weather right now, not October. Lucky for the kids, Halloween is looking much better and no signs of snow.
With all the cold weather we’ve been having, I’ve been having soup for lunch for dinner most days. One of my favorite ones I’ve been enjoying is this Southwest Chicken and Rice Soup. It’s a hearty soup thanks to the chicken, brown rice and black beans and it has tons of spicy southwest flavor.
What Do I Need to Make the Soup?
- Chicken breasts or thighs
- Yellow onion
- Diced green chiles
- Black beans
- Baby spinach or kale
- Cooked brown rice
- A jar of salsa verde
- Low sodium chicken broth
- Chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, smoked paprika
This soup is a quick and easy stovetop soup, similar to this White Chicken Chili. No slow cookers or Instant Pots required. You’ll start by combining the spices. Half will be used to season the chicken and the other half will go into the broth of the soup. After the chicken is seasoned, sear it in the bottom of the pot you’ll be cooking the soup in.
Once the chicken is browned add in the diced onion and sauté for a couple minutes. Then the rest is easy. Dump in the green chiles, black beans, remaining spice mixture, spinach, salsa verde and chicken broth. The soup will cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Lastly, remove the chicken, shred it and add it back to the pot with the rice, cilantro and squeeze in the lime juice.
What Can I Use Instead of Brown Rice?
For alternatives to the brown rice you can also use white rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice if you want the soup to be lower in carbs.
Can I Freeze This Soup?
Yes, but without the rice. If you plan to freeze the soup, only mix the rice into the portion you plan to eat. Similar to pasta, the texture of rice has a tendency to change in soup after it’s been frozen.
You all know how I love my toppings on soup, so of course you’ll find plenty on this one. Melted Monterey Jack cheese, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and extra lime wedges. Need a few more carbs? Make your own homemade baked tortilla chips.
More Southwest Inspired Soups
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 32 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 16 ounces salsa verde
- 5 ounces baby spinach or baby kale
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Avocado, tomatoes, cheese, plain Greek yogurt and cilantro for toppings
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Sprinkle half the mixture on the chicken and reserve the rest.
- In a large heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot add in the chicken and sear for 2 minutes per side. Add in the onion and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, green chiles, black beans, salsa, spinach, remaining spice mixture and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pot and shred with a fork. Add the chicken back to the soup along with the rice, cilantro and lime juice. Stir everything together and taste for seasoning.
- Serve the soup topped with cheese, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro and plain Greek yogurt.
Nutritional info doesn't include toppings.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 353Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 701mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 35g