Grilled fillets of Sockeye salmon seasoned with a southwest rub and served with fresh blueberry and corn salsa are the perfect pairing of flavors!
I’ve been on a grilling kick lately in case you couldn’t tell. Everything from burgers, to chicken, to vegetables has been grilled around here the past couple weeks and it’s all tasted so good! I absolutely love the flavor that grilling gives food. Aside from grilled chicken my second favorite protein to grill is fish, especially salmon.
Living in Colorado with no ocean in sight I feel like I miss out on all of the fresh seafood. While I was in Portland a couple weeks ago I took advantage of being near the water and ate some delicious halibut, muscles, and salmon. The flavor and freshness of the fish was unreal and I could have eaten it for every meal! When I’m not on vacation near an ocean I’ve found a way to still enjoy some delicious seafood.
Recently Sizzlefish contacted me and asked if I’d like to try their seafood. I of course jumped on the opportunity to have a box full of delicious fish sent to my door. I have to say that I am absolutely loving it! Even though it is frozen it still has a very fresh taste and is a great way for those of us in states that aren’t near the ocean to enjoy good quality natural fish.
Normally when I grill fish I keep it really simple and just do salt, pepper, and lemon juice. However I do occasionally like to spice things up and add some Southwest flair, that’s the born and raised Arizona girl in me.
I decided to make a simple rub for this salmon using chili powder, cumin, coriander, and salt. The spices gave the salmon a wonderful flavor without masking the flavor of the fish.
To go with the salmon I made a blueberry corn salsa. In case you’ve never tried pairing blueberries and corn together, I highly recommend it. Normally I would use fresh corn, but ours isn’t quite in season yet so I grabbed a bag of frozen roasted corn while I was at Whole Foods.
If you can’t find frozen roasted corn regular frozen corn is fine, but if you do find it give it a try, it’s amazing! We absolutely loved the blueberry corn salsa paired with the Southwest grilled salmon and I know we will be enjoying it many more times this summer!
Southwest Grilled Salmon
- 2 (4 ounce) sockeye salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
Blueberry Corn Salsa
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 cup frozen fire roasted corn, defrosted
- 1/4 cup diced red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup diced poblano chile pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, chopped
- Juice of a lime
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat and oil the grates.
- In a small bowl combine the spices for the salmon then rub the mixture all over the fillets. Grill the salmon for about 4 minutes on each side or until the desired degree of doneness.
Blueberry Corn Salsa
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the salsa and toss together. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with the salmon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 69mgSodium: 428mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 8gSugar: 21gProtein: 35g
More Salmon Recipes