A healthy and delicious dinner made in one skillet and on the table in 30 minute or less! This Southwest Turkey, Vegetable and Rice Skillet is creamy, cheesy, full of vegetables, lean ground turkey and brown rice. It’s sure to become a family favorite!
It’s the first week back to school around here. I always remember the first week back at school. When you’re younger it’s much more exciting. New clothes, backpack, lunchbox and school supplies, life was simple and good. Then you hit high school and new clothes are about the only exciting thing you’re going back to school with.
You saw your friends all summer so nothing new there, now it’s just back to classes and homework. I’m sure most parents look forward to school starting up again, now you actually have time to get things done that you need and want to do.
The rushed days are when I pull out my trusty skillet and make a meal where I can throw all of the ingredients into it. This Southwest Turkey, Vegetable and Rice Skillet is one I had many times as a kid and still love making it today.
In my collection of recipes, this one is actually called Ranchero Bake. Why it’s called that, I don’t know. I guess it might be something you would eat on a ranch, can’t say I’ve been to a whole lot of ranches lately.
You don’t bake this dinner, although if you felt like heating up the house and taking an extra 20 minutes to make it you could. So, instead of keeping it’s original name I changed it up to one you might actually search for on the internet.
I also changed and added a couple ingredients to this Southwest Turkey, Vegetable and Rice Skillet to make it more to my liking. Instead of using white rice I switched it out for whole grain brown rice. I also subbed the sour cream for Greek yogurt and added in some fresh corn because it’s in season.
A tip to make this dinner extra speedy is to use boil in the bag brown rice or even minute brown rice that you can pop in the microwave if you’re really rushed. I hope you enjoy this easy, one skillet Southwest flavored dinner as much as I do!
More Skillet Dinners
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, I use 93/7% lean
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 zucchini, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, 2% or whole can also be used
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot add a couple teaspoons of oil or spray the skillet generously with oil.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet and crumble it with a wooden spoon. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- When the turkey is almost cooked through add in the onion and garlic and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Add in the can of green chiles and the zucchini and cook for another minute.
- Add in the cooked brown rice, corn and tomato and stir everything together.When the mixture is heated through add in the shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Turn off the heat and remove from the hot burner. Stir in the Greek yogurt until everything is combined and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 89mg Sodium: 242mg Carbohydrates: 32g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 43g