These bite sized Spinach Artichoke Dip Phyllo Cups are perfect for game day or your next party! Super easy to make and made with lighter ingredients too!
We’re a couple weeks into football season so I figured it was about time for a new quick and easy game day appetizer. These Spinach Artichoke Dip Phyllo Cups are not only easy to make, but they taste amazing and they’re lighter on the fat and calories thanks to a couple ingredients. Obviously this means if you’re like me you’ll be eating more of them.
Spinach and artichoke dip is a favorite of mine, but it’s notorious for being an ultra fatty, high calorie appetizer. Not that there’s anything wrong with indulging once in a while, but I want to provide you with a healthier alternative for the times you don’t feel like going all out. For those times you do want to go all out, this Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip has a ton of good reviews.
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Dip Healthier
- Substitute full fat cream cheese for low fat cream cheese. This is a simple swap that is undetectable unless you’re some kind of cream cheese connoisseur.
- Substitute full fat sour cream for low fat or non-fat plain Greek yogurt. You’ll still get the tang that you would with sour cream, but without as many calories and fat. Greek yogurt also contains probiotics and has more protein.
- Skip the mayo. It’s not a necessary ingredient and can be substituted with more Greek yogurt.
As you can see the swaps to make a healthier spinach artichoke dip are simple. Nothing drastic and no over-the-top ingredients that are hard to find or you’ll never use again. Along with the dairy in the dip there’s also canned chopped artichoke hearts and defrosted frozen spinach. Be sure once your spinach has defrosted that you squeeze out all the excess water with a clean dish towel. If you don’t the dip will be watery.
Can I Use a Cheese Other Than Mozzarella?
This recipe calls for mozzarella cheese to be mixed into the dip which is standard for most spinach artichoke dips. If you don’t have any or want to use something else I would recommend fontina or a sharp white cheddar cheese. The flavor will change slightly, but it will still be delicious. Also note that the nutritional info. will vary depending the type of cheese you use.
Once the dip is made the only thing left to do is spoon it into prepared mini phyllo shells. Generally they come in a package of twelve and can be found in the freezer section by the puff pastry. They don’t need to be defrosted before filling them and can go straight into the oven.
What’s an Alternative to Phyllo Shells?
If your grocery store doesn’t carry phyllo shells I would suggest using wonton wrappers like I did for these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups. They’ll be larger so you’ll probably want to double the amount of filling you make.
These spinach artichoke dip phyllo cups will need 10 minutes to bake and then remove them from the oven, top with the parmesan cheese and put them back in the oven for another 2-3 minutes. They’re the perfect one bite, hot and cheesy appetizer to serve during this weekend’s football games!
More Phyllo Cup Appetizers
- 2 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup quartered artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, after it's been defrosted and excess liquid squeezed out.
- 1/3 cup grated part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 24 mini phyllo shells
- 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and place the mini phyllo shells on a baking sheet.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, granulated garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. Fold in the artichoke hearts, spinach and mozzarella cheese until combined.
- Divide the filling (about 2 teaspoons per shell) evenly into the phyllo shells. Bake for 10 minutes then remove from the oven and sprinkle on the parmesan cheese. Bake for another 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 66 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 101mg Carbohydrates: 7g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g