Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are the perfect portable appetizer to serve for game day or your next party! You’ll never suspect that the spicy, creamy, cheesy chicken filling was made with lighter ingredients!
Looking for another buffalo chicken recipe? Try my buffalo chicken stuffed peppers!
This post has been updated since it was originally published on 1/30/2019
Why you’ll love them
Baked not fried – As much as I love the occasional deep fried snack, I’m not into frying on my own. Let’s face it, it’s messy and a hassle. You can get that same crisp fried texture by spraying the wonton wrappers with cooking oil and baking them in the oven.
Lighter ingredients without sacrificing flavor – Instead of using full fat cream cheese and sour cream in the buffalo chicken filling, I opted for low fat cream cheese and plain Greek yogurt. You won’t be able to tell the difference, I promise.
Bite sized – The buffalo chicken cups are the perfect handheld appetizer. They’re a portable, 2-3 bites, and don’t make a big mess. Perfect for game day, the Super Bowl or any party!
What are wonton wrappers?
Wonton wrappers are paper thin sheets of dough used to make the outside layer or dumplings or wontons. The dough is made of wheat flour, eggs, and water.
- Wonton wrappers – You can find them in the refrigerated section at the grocery store where the tofu and egg roll wrappers are.
- Chicken – Shredded chicken breasts or thighs can be used.
- Buffalo sauce – Tangy, spicy, and available in mild, medium, or hot varieties. Noble Made is my brand of choice.
- Cream cheese – The recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese also labeled as Neufchâtel cheese or 1/3 less fat cream cheese. You can use full fat if you prefer.
- Plain Greek yogurt – Creamy and tangy just like sour cream, but thicker and containing more protein. Use either 2% or full fat Greek yogurt.
- Garlic powder
- Green onions
- Cheddar cheese – You can also use Colby Jack cheese. I like to shred mine from the block, but you can use pre-shredded if needed.
- Blue cheese crumbles – Blue cheese and buffalo sauce are commonly paired together. If you don’t like blue cheese you can omit it.
How to make buffalo chicken wonton cups
Bake the wonton wrappers – Spray a muffin pan with cooking oil and press a wonton wrapper into each muffin cup. Lightly spray the inside of the wonton wrappers and then bake them for 6-8 minutes or until lightly golden. They will continue to bake after the filling is added in.
Make the filling – The buffalo chicken filling is similar to my Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip. In a bowl combine the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce, and garlic powder.
Whisk them together until smooth and combined. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, and green onions.
Fill the wonton cups – Divide the filling evenly into the wonton cups, then sprinkle with the crumbled blue cheese. Place them back in the oven oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the wontons are golden brown and the filling is warmed through.
Remove them from the oven and garnish with green onions and extra buffalo sauce if desired.
Buffalo chicken cups FAQ:
The buffalo chicken filling can be made 1-2 days in advance. The wonton cups can also be baked 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container. The day you plan to serve them, fill the wonton cups, top with blue cheese and bake until the filling is warmed through, about 8-10 minutes.
Yes. If you prefer to use sour cream, either low fat or full fat can be used.
If you don’t like cream cheese try using mascarpone cheese instead
Unfortunately they aren’t. To make these gluten free you can use corn tortillas like I used to make these mini chicken enchilada cups.
- Make sure the cream cheese and Greek yogurt are at room temperature so that they mix together well. If the cream cheese is still cold it will be chunk and won’t mix together smoothly.
- Use shredded rotisserie chicken (with the skin removed) to save time when making these.
- If you really love blue cheese, after the the buffalo chicken wonton cups have baked, drizzle them with my homemade blue cheese dressing that I used on these buffalo chicken sloppy joes.
More Game Day Recipes
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Phyllo Cups
- Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Cheesy Baked Jalapeño Black Bean Dip
- Tequila Lime Shrimp Taco Bites
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are the perfect portable appetizer to serve for game day or your next party!
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce, such as Noble Made
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray a muffin pan with cooking oil. Press a wonton wrapper into each muffin cup and lightly spray the insides with cooking oil. Bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While the wonton cups are baking, whisk together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce and granulated garlic in a bowl. Fold in the green onions, cheddar cheese and shredded chicken and stir everything together until combined.
- Spoon the filling evenly into the wonton cups, then sprinkle with the crumbled blue cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the wontons are golden brown and the filling is warmed through.
- Top with extra sliced green onions and additional buffalo sauce as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g
How do you make these in advance? I want to make these tonight to have tomorrow
You can make the filling in advance, however I wouldn’t fill and bake them until you’re ready to serve them.
Do you use mini muffin pans? Or regular size?
I used a standard 12 cup muffin pan.