Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups are the perfect portable appetizer to serve for game day or your next party! You’ll never suspect that the spicy, creamy, cheesy chicken filling was made with lighter ingredients!
I debated whether or not to make an appetizer recipe for the Super Bowl this Sunday. I’m not exactly excited about the teams playing this year, of course I never am unless it’s the Broncos. However, I know the game will be on so I might as well have something good to snack on.
I already have a couple recipes for buffalo chicken on the blog. This Skinny Buffalo Chicken Dip is always a hit on game day and this Buffalo Chicken Salad is great for lunch. I’m thinking of going all out on “buffalo” this year and making these Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes to go with the Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups. Too much buffalo? No such thing!
The idea for these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups came about because I wanted to make individual handheld bites where the filling is contained and spillage is less likely to happen. These portable, 2-3 bite morsels were the perfect neat and tidy solution and they’ll be a hit at this year’s Super Bowl!
Generally when you buy wonton wrappers you fill them and then fry them. Since I’m not into frying my own food, especially deep frying, I decided to bake them. Making these cups is a two step baking process, but the good news is you can bake the wonton cups ahead of time and store them in an airtight container until you’re ready to use them.
The buffalo chicken filling is similar to my dip recipe in that it’s been lightened up. If making game day appetizers lighter isn’t your thing, by all means use full fat ingredients or whatever you buy and eat at your house. I like to do a mix of lower fat ingredients and full fat.
Cheese, with the exception of mozzarella or cream cheese, is one of those ingredients that I don’t believe should be reduced fat or worse non-fat! The texture, flavor and melting abilities are all wrong.
Ingredients I do think you can sub in the lower fat and not notice a difference are yogurt, milk, sour cream. I actually always use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream because I honestly don’t really notice much difference in flavor or consistency. Since I always have Greek yogurt in my fridge for snacking, buying a container of sour cream never crosses my mind.
The filling for these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wonton Cups is a mouthwatering combination of shredded chicken, buffalo hot sauce, green onions, cream cheese, Greek yogurt and a little melted cheese on top. The lighter ingredients are undetectable in these bites, so even your least health conscious game day guests won’t notice. Enjoy!
More Game Day Recipes
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 4 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce, such as Frank's
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray. Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup and bake for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool while you make the filling.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, Greek yogurt, buffalo sauce and granulated garlic. Add in the green onions, cheddar cheese and shredded chicken and stir everything together until combined.
- Spoon the filling evenly into the wonton cups, then sprinkle with the crumbled blue cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the wontons are golden brown and the filling is warmed through.
- Top with sliced green onions and additional buffalo sauce as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 114Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 285mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 9g