This week is all about food you can make for your Valentine if you are the type that prefers to stay home instead of fight the crowds. My husband and I usually stay in on Valentine’s Day and go out for a nice dinner on a different night so we don’t have to wait an hour to eat. I always like to make a special dinner for him and one that includes an appetizer, main course, and of course dessert. Yesterday I shared one of the dessert recipes I plan to make and today I’m sharing the appetizer, Steak Crostini with Blue Cheese Sauce.
Steak isn’t something I make very often. I actually don’t crave red meat very often and usually just stick to poultry or fish. My husband however LOVES steak and burgers and anytime the opportunity presents itself he indulges in it. Normally when I cook steak it’s for a special occasion whether it’s his birthday or in this case Valentine’s Day.
This Steak Crostini with Blue Cheese Sauce is a really simple, but incredibly flavorful appetizer. If you love steak and blue cheese then you will fall in love with this little bite! For me the blue cheese sauce is what makes the crostini so special. The sauce is a combination of crumbled blue cheese, Greek yogurt, light mayonnaise, low fat cream cheese, worcestershire, and chives. You put all of the ingredients in the food processor or blender and blend it until it’s smooth and creamy. I was eating this stuff with a spoon! It has the perfect amount of blue cheese flavor and chives and it’s all balanced out with the tang and creaminess of the yogurt, mayo, and cream cheese.
Assembling the crostini is easy. Salt and pepper your steak then broil it in the oven for about 3 minutes on each side. Remove it from the oven and let it rest before slicing it, you don’t want to lose all the amazing juices! While the steak is resting drizzle your slices of baguette with a little olive oil, then put them under the broiler just until they are golden brown. Don’t walk away from the crostini or you’ll end up with black bread rather than golden…speaking from experience. When the crostini is ready, remove it from the oven and spread a thin layer of the blue cheese sauce on top. Slice the steak thinly and put a couple of slice on top. Finish the crostini off with another little dollop of the blue cheese sauce, a few blue cheese crumbles, and a couple snippets of chives.
I absolutely loved everything about this appetizer! From the ease of making it, to the heavenly flavor combination of the steak with the blue cheese on top of a perfectly toasted slice of baguette. If you plan to make an appetizer for your Valentine’s Day dinner, this Steak Crostini with Blue Cheese Sauce is definitely worthy of the occasion!
Blue Cheese Sauce
- 1 ounce low fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain non fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
Steak and Crostini
- 1/2 pound strip steak, flank steak, or steak of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices whole wheat baguette
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Extra blue cheese crumbles and chives for topping
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray it with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the salt and pepper then place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Broil the steak for about 3 minutes on each side depending on how thick it is.
- Remove the steak from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- While the steak is resting place the baguette slices on a clean baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil.
- Place the baguette slices under the broiler and brown them until golden.
- Remove the baguette slice from the oven and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor combine all of the blue cheese sauce ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Spoon about 1/2 a teaspoon of the blue cheese sauce on one side of the crostini.
- Top each crostini with two thin slices of steak.
- Top the steak with another 1/4 teaspoon of the blue cheese sauce, crumbled blue cheese, and more chives.
- Serve immediately.