Layers of coconut chia pudding and strawberry chia jam come together in one perfect bite! These easy to make and healthy Strawberry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits are a delightful protein filled breakfast, snack or dessert!
Chia seeds aren’t something that I’ve really gotten into. For some reason the idea of eating something that I sprouted into a chia pet (I think mine was a dog) as a kid didn’t seem all that appetizing. I mean seriously who got the idea that we should start eating these seeds? Did someone one day just decide to snack on their chia pet and decide that this is something we should all be eating? It’s strange things like this that I find myself thinking about during a long run.
Anywho, these little slippery, some might describe as slimy seeds are all the rage and turns out quite healthy for you too. My first experience eating them was not a good one which is probably why I’ve steered clear of them in my recipes. I literally just ate some straight up and was not impressed with how the texture changed when they were in my mouth and that I continued to find a stray one stuck to my teeth throughout the day.
However, because these little seeds are packed with protein, fiber, Omega-3 fatty acids, calcium and are high in antioxidants I was determined to find a way that I could enjoy them. Making these Strawberry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits was the clear winner. I’m about a year late to the chia pudding and chia jam game, but hey at least I finally got here! These parfaits are perfect for breakfast, snack or a healthy dessert. They totally satisfied my sweet tooth cravings and did it all without using refined sugars!
I will note that chia pudding is very reminiscent of tapioca pudding, so if you’re not a fan this might not be something you’ll enjoy. The strawberry chia jam however, I found to be very similar to regular jam but a little more seedy. This recipe makes enough pudding and jam for four parfaits which can be assembled all at once then stored in the refrigerator so you can have a healthy treat all week. The pudding and jam are best if you let them set up for at least four hours and overnight is even better. The next time you get a craving for something sweet skip the store bought sugary pudding and make these Strawberry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits instead!
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 1/2 pound strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon honey, more or less depending on the sweetness of the berries
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Coconut Chia Pudding
- 6 ounces plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Unsweetened toasted coconut flakes for topping the parfaits (optional)
Strawberry Chia Jam
- Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the berries for about 5-7 minutes until they break down and become syrupy.
- Use a potato masher to mash the berries into your desired consistency.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the honey, lemon juice, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the chia seeds then let it stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Refrigerate and store in an airtight container or jar until chilled.
Coconut Chia Pudding
- In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, milk, honey, coconut extract and pinch of salt until smooth.
- Add in the chia seeds and stir until evenly incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight until the pudding is thick.
Assembling the Parfaits
- Divide the pudding and jam into 4 glasses, bowls or jars.
- Top with unsweetened toasted coconut flakes if desired.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the fridge to eat throughout the week (they should keep for approximately 4-5 days).
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 321 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 46g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 29g Protein: 11g