Just when I started to get excited about warm weather and spring being here, Colorado pulled it’s typical and not so funny springtime stunt. Wednesday morning they predicted some rain in the morning along with strong winds. Well they got the wind right, but that rain turned into a big wet snow! No joke, the snowflakes were at least the size of quarters! To show my disgust and refusal to accept the snow and cold temperatures, I pulled my strawberries out of the fridge, made some vanilla pudding, then sat on the couch and pretended it was sunny and 80 degrees out while I ate one of these Strawberry and White Chocolate Pudding Parfaits.
I daydreamed as I took each sweet bite of the parfait that I was sitting out on the deck basking in the sun with my tank top and shorts on and breathing in the fresh mountain air. In reality I was wrapped up in a throw debating whether or not to turn the fireplace on and grimacing every time I saw those big snowflakes out of the corner of my eye. But such is life in Colorado, our springtime can definitely be a doozy!
Making these strawberry and white chocolate pudding parfaits is however, not a doozy! In fact, they are downright easy to make, especially since this pudding is practically foolproof. Sure I could have just made a box of pudding, but once you make homemade pudding, it’s almost guaranteed that you won’t go back to the box!
This white chocolate pudding is not only lightened up thanks to using skim milk, but it doesn’t use any eggs. Any of those fears you had about scrambling the eggs in the pudding are gone. Rather than using eggs to thicken the pudding, it uses cornstarch. The pudding comes out silky smooth and has a delicious white chocolate-vanilla flavor that I absolutely love!
Once the pudding has chilled in the fridge you have two options, grab a spoon and dig in, or make these beautiful parfaits. It took all the self control I could muster, but I opted to make the parfaits, because parfaits are just so darn pretty! Since strawberries are so delicious right now, I knew I had to use them. The layers of sweetened strawberries and white chocolate pudding was dreamy enough to make me forget all about the snow outside, at least for a few minutes anyways! These parfaits are perfect any time, but would be a fabulous dessert to make this Easter. Enjoy!
Strawberry and White Chocolate Pudding Parfaits
Layers of white chocolate pudding and strawberries make a gorgeous and delicious dessert!
White Chocolate Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 ounces good quality white chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, diced
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Pour the milk into a glass measuring cup and microwave it for 30-60 seconds until it is just warm.
- In a small saucepan add the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt then whisk them together.
- Turn the heat on to medium low and slowly pour the warm milk into the sugar mixture whisking the entire time so that lumps don't form.
- Continue to whisk the pudding occasionally until it starts to thicken, about 5-10 minutes.
- When the pudding coats the back of the spoon add in the white chocolate and continue to stir it for about 2-4 minutes or until it is thick.
- Remove the pudding from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Transfer the pudding to a bowl and strain it if you are concerned about lumps.
- Cover the pudding with plastic wrap so that the plastic is lying smoothly on top of the pudding (this will prevent a skin from forming).
- Refrigerate the pudding until it is cold and set, about 2-3 hours.
- In a separate bowl sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar of the diced strawberries and toss them together until coated in the sugar.
- Refrigerate the berries until you are ready to assemble the parfaits.
- Layer the strawberries and white chocolate pudding evenly in 4 glasses.
- Garnish the tops of the parfaits with grated white chocolate and a strawberry if desired.
Grapefruit Curd and Honeyed Yogurt Parfaits
Rhonda Gales says
I’m loving the strawberry and pudding parfaits. This will be one of my 4th of July desserts. Strawberry season is around the corner, can’t wait to pick a fresh batch for this recipe.
Thanks Rhonda! They will be perfect for 4th of July!
Julie | This Gal Cooks says
We are having the same thing with the weather here in Florida, minus the snow! The lows are dipping into the 50s and the highs tomorrow will be in the 60s. Cool for Florida in April but I’ll take it over the 90 degrees high we had last Sunday!
Totally digging this parfait, Danae! I love strawberries so much. This is a winner for sure. :) Like the new blog design, too!
Wow that is pretty cool for Florida, especially right now! Thanks so much about the parfaits and blog design Julie, have a great week! :-)
Sheryl @Lady Behind The Curtain says
I’m always up for an easy dessert! Looks so good.
Thanks Sheryl! Have a great weekend!
Miranda @ Cookie Dough & Oven Mitt says
Oh my. This pudding parfait looks amazing! The fresh strawberries have me super excited for spring. It’s cold and rainy here, so I guess I’ll be waiting a little longer!
Thanks Miranda! Ugh I’m so over the cold weather, can’t wait for the warm weather to stick around!