Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos are a dream come true for taco lovers! A super satisfying and delicious breakfast!
I decided it was about time for a new breakfast taco recipe, because they’re awesome and if you haven’t had one you’re missing out. After our Cinco de Mayo party I had a ton of corn tortillas leftover and what better way to use them than for these Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos!
Why is it that there are only two options, if even that, on the amount of corn tortillas in a package. It’s either 12 if I’m lucky to find the brand I like that sells that amount, or 30+. Unless you’re having a party or have a really big family, I don’t see how anyone can use that many corn tortillas before they get stale.
That brings me to my next point. Why do they crumble and fall apart the day after you open the bag? You’d think that someone could make one that doesn’t split in half the second you pick up your taco to take a bite.
The only way I’ve found to keep my corn tortillas from falling apart is to grill/char them on one of the burners of our gas stove. I know there’s the method of frying them in oil for a few seconds, but that doesn’t really appeal to me. Oh well, third world problems, right?
These Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos were something I just randomly decided to make one day. I was craving tacos and breakfast for dinner and happened to have everything on hand to make these, including at least 30 corn tortillas.
Bacon and eggs are an obvious breakfast combo, but the addition of the diced sweet potato added a nice touch of sweetness to this savory and spicy breakfast taco. I say spicy because I of course had to add in some chili powder and hot sauce.
Along with those few ingredients, there’s also ground cumin because where there’s chili powder there must be cumin. Monterey Jack cheese is melted into the eggs while they scramble and then the tacos are topped off with cilantro, more cheese and served with your favorite salsa.
These Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast tacos are great for a lazy weekend breakfast or any night you’re craving brinner. If there’s any leftover filling, which I doubt there will be, it can easily be reheated the next day.
More Tacos to Try
Egg, Green Chile and Cheese Breakfast Tacos
Grilled Salmon Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa
Buffalo Chicken Tacos with Blue Cheese Coleslaw
Sweet Potato, Bacon and Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 corn tortillas, charred on a gas stove burner or microwaved until warm
- Cilantro, cheese, salsa and hot sauce for serving
- In a microwave safe dish, place the peeled and halved sweet potato cut side down. Add in a 1/4 cup of water and cover the dish tightly with plastic wrap. Make a couple slits in the plastic wrap with a knife then microwave for 3-4 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender, but not thoroughly cooked. Remove from the dish and dice.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, milk, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Using kitchen scissors, cut the uncooked bacon (over the skillet) into small strips and let them fall in. Use a wooden spoon to separate the bacon pieces into an even layer and let them cook until crisp, about 4-5 minutes. You can also wait to dice the bacon after it's cooked if you prefer.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet onto a plate lined with paper towels. Remove the bacon grease from the pan leaving 2 teaspoons behind to cook the sweet potato and eggs in.
- Add in the diced sweet potato, chili powder and cumin. Sauté for approximately 2 minutes or until the sweet potato is cooked through. Remove the sweet potato from the skillet onto the plate with the bacon.
- Add the egg mixture to the skillet, adding a little more of the bacon grease if needed, and scramble the eggs. Just before the eggs are set add in the bacon, sweet potato and shredded cheese.
- Once the cheese has melted serve in the charred or warmed corn tortillas, topped with cilantro, more cheese, salsa and hot sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 267mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 19g
Brittany Audra @ Audra's Appetite says
So excited to try making my own breakfast tacos at home! And sweet potatoes in tacos?! YES :)
Catherine Haines says
Made this tonight. I substituted goat cheese for Monterey Jack. My husband, who generally dislikes any orange vegetable (except for carrots) loved it. He even went back for seconds!